Find
Notify
Tools

National Public Radio???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Off topic, I guess, but...

National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" just ran a piece on the .30-'06 cartridge.

It was a laudatory essay, suggesting the chambering had stood the test of time because it's "perfectly balanced."

The history was pretty accurate, mentioning the Spanish-American War, Mausers, and the '03 Springfield as a "Mauser copy".

Also mentioned were TR's trips to Africa with the .30-'06.

All together a nice piece of radio journalism.

flaco

N.B. Also mentioned was the suggestion that successful hunting was not an endeavor that needed the latest technology.

(That's just for those of us that prefer traditional chamberings.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
N.B. Also mentioned was the suggestion that successful hunting was not an endeavor that needed the latest technology.

Absolutely correct, but then I do consider the .30-06 to be in the "high technology" camp anyway....

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear something good on the radio!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is surprising that radio would have a pro-gun show on. cool. great chambering. if you are going to only have one rifle make it the 30-06. (of course then you have to get a whole bunch of other ones to just prove to yourself that all around it is still greatest. Big Grin )

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dago on this one. Are you sure it was NPR (I don't listen to them)?
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
I'm with Dago on this one. Are you sure it was NPR (I don't listen to them)?
Pete

Yes, we can tell you don't listen much to NPR.

However, the story was no more "pro gun" than a story about AIDS in Africa is "pro homosexual". It was simply a piece that did an excellent job of noting the historical significance of the round and the practical applications found for it in both military and civilian use. Like nearly all stories on NPR, the story stuck to good journalistic practices of getting the facts right and informing the listener of the newsworthy aspects of the subject. I'm sure that some listeners are offended by even mentioning what an excellent big game round the '06 is, but then some listeners are offended when NPR analizes the potential impact of raising the minium wage. We need more news sources that treat us as adults like NPR.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
All the while that I was listening to that piece I was expecting the other foot to drop, but was amazed that they didn't somewhere state some anti-hunting rhetoric.

One good point for NPR - I did not think it was possible.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,
NPR has had numerous hunting stories over the years. It isn't an ever day staple news item, but they have done many pieces on hunting and never came off anti-hunting in any that I remember. Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Brent
Out of curiosity I went to the NPR website and searched hunting.

I have to admit being wrong in my anticipation of NPR's stories on hunting.

They did seem to take particular interest in our VP's accidental shooting of a hunting partner but that was just before the elections.

Today had a story about polar bear being overhunted. There was a story about hunting deer in Texas a few months ago that essentially stated that hunting deer in fenced areas was unsporting. etc. etc.

All in all I couldn't find even one story I felt was patently untrue. So thanks for pointing out my mistake. I learned something today.

I still think they are managed by a bunch of liberal weenies though - but perhaps I'm wrong about that too.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I agree that when NPR prepares a story they use the highest journalistic standards, and they did in this case, too.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake, NPR has a liberal bias.

But lately, they have been de-sensitizing their liberal listeners to Christianity.

Most liberals hate Christians, but Christians are reproducing faster than liberals. So NPR is being pragmatic, and trying to broaden the base of the Democratic Party.

Make no mistake, there are no Republicans or conservatives in all of NPR.

The most typical bias is that if the gov does anything bad, the noun in the sentence is "the Bush administration".
If the gov does anything good, the noun in the sentence is the particular agency.

For the past 30 years, NPR has been doing lots of anti gun stuff on the radio.

When Michael Bellesiles did a book tour with "The Arming of America" the Fresh Air program gave him an hour. When it was learned he faked the whole anti gun data, there was never a retraction or counter.

When NPR talks about a politician being on the wrong side of "cop killer bullets", what do they mean?

Fair and balanced is never fair and balanced.
NPR gives both sides, but the liberal always get more time and get the last word.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Right on tnekkcc!

NPR is very liberally biased. Most times makes me too sick to my stomach to leave on for more than 30 seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36846 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote