New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing lug's ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I forgot to ask in my last M70 post...can I smooth the bolt channels and lugs to make the bolt cycle smoother by applying compound to the bolt, then work the bolt to smooth it up, or is it more complicated than this?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Use mold makers stones. Guesswein brand. 150gt 220gt, 320gt. 1/4 x 1/2 x 6. about 3.50 each. They work.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Timan, but I don't know how to use them. I would like to put some lapping compound on the lugs etc, and work the bolt.....can it be done this way?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get some 600 and 800 grit compound from Brownells and smooth up the raceways. I did this with a CZ and it worked perfectly. Just apply the compound and slide the bolt straight in and out. I did not do the locking lugs out of fear of altering the headspace. It was not necessary in any case.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBD, was it a noticeable improvement, or just minimal? I never thought about the headapace issue!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Thanks Timan, but I don't know how to use them. I would like to put some lapping compound on the lugs etc, and work the bolt.....can it be done this way?

When lapping the lugs you don’t completely “work†the bolt. You only work the handle up and down (stopping short of the caming portion on the receiver) while applying backward pressure to the nose of the bolt. You have to remember that you only want to lap the square surfaces of the bolt and receiver lugs and not the caming surfaces.

Lapping the lugs and polishing the raceways are separate operations...and it has been my experience that using the bolt itself to polish the raceways is not the best way to go about it.

You would really have to go overboard to adversely alter the headspace using 600 grit lapping compound on the lugs...unless you have allot more endurance in your arm muscles than I do! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote