New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22lr Bolt and Accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, need some help. I have a 22lr bolt action which I have had for 27 years. Over the years I was aleays impressed with its accuracy, not anymore. 2010 I had a suppressor fitted and replaced the entire bolt shortly afterwards. reason I changed the bolt was due to a crack in the bolt face which I did not feel comfortable with. Gases would sometimes hit me in the eye! I recently fired a series of groups with various types of ammo and was horrified by the results!!! 25m groups were aroud an inch! This gun would put 5 in one hole at the same range.
What you guys advise me to do?

Rifle is a cheapie but nice. CBC Model 122
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Doubt the bolt is the issue. The suppressor has changed the harmonics. Assuming it isn't making contact as well

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will shoot the same number of groups without the suppressor and see if that makes a difference. Would love to get this rifle shooting deadly groups again. As for the bolt I noticed a slight raised ring above the rim on the case after firing. Makes me think it is not properly mating with the bolt face barrel face.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm betting your bullet is hitting the ID of the suppressor

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Raised ring sounds like excess headspace, which also changed the relationship of bullet and throat resulting in degraded accuracy.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that too. Only thing is that I suspect it could be a combination of too much headspace AND barrel harmonics due to the suppressor. I very much doubt the bullets are touching inside the suppressor but will not rule it out.
Will it be possible to correct the headspace on a rimfire without replacing either the bolt or barrel?
Thanks for the help guys,