THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who Likes Winchester Pre-64 Super Grades w/Pictures!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Likes Winchester Pre-64 Super Grades w/Pictures!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I bought this rifle for a song (I can't tell you the price or you won't be able to see your screen through your tears). Early 50s, '06. Stock had a pad and was in rough shape so it was refinished, checkering recut, and a red pad installed. She's a nice huntin rig.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A beauty for sure. Whoever refinished the stock did it right. Nice scope mount rig too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar70-

Great looking rifle. Talley bases and rings, correct?

What model and power is your Leupy scope?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Talley is correct and 2.5-8 Leupold.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a criticism. just a comment. Seems like a lot of folks go through a lot of trouble to buy these older rifles that are either in original condition, or they put some money into them to make them as original as can be. But then they put on current mounts and current scopes. Was Talley even making rings in the 50s?
---------

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Talley was around but I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make other than yes, most people prefer modern optics if they choose to hunt with a vintage rifle. That being said, I have quite a few rifles with Lyman Alaskans and Weaver 330s in Stith mounts and I have hunted with them on occassion but they are more collectible and as such, are set up that way. For a rifle I use afield a lot, I'm more utilitarian, and modern scopes work better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice kit.have almost identical 51 vintage 06 SG,Redfield 50s bases&rings,Leupy 3-9.took it on AR stalking weekend at Baldock.with handloads will shoot in .4s but needs a refinish.who did yours?BEST,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Prewar

I have an extra 10/22 ruger Ill trade straight across for that Super Grade...

It even has a period Simmons scope on it jumping

Cal30 thumb

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious..you sure abut the 1925 date? I seem to remember something like 1937...small point..not too important to anyone but us nit pickers...HAR!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle. Wonderful job on the woodwork.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Just curious..you sure abut the 1925 date? I seem to remember something like 1937...small point..not too important to anyone but us nit pickers...HAR!

Nope, it was 1925. I am no expert, but I believe that the .270 WCF was originally chambered in the Model 54.

You may be thinking of the date of introduction of the Model 70, which was 1937, IIRC.

BTW, Prewar 70, that is beautiful restoration work on your rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC the one Supergrade I ever owned has the words SUPER - GRADE, or something like that, on the floorplate!

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
That's correct, it should have that on the floorplate. The floorplate is the one that was on it when I bought it. No doubt someone took it off for another rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar....Looks like a great find! Both of us being from Minnesota, and living 100 miles apart or less ; we should get together some time, and oogle each others 70s.
My Super is a transition model, which as you know, was probably assembled from pre-war parts.
Mine was morphed into a 270 Weatherby Mag in the early 50s, so I was able to acquire it for a song. Shoots good though, and what the hell, it's another 70.............Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I would like that. Your rifle sounds interesting. You can really find some deals when they've been rechambered or a pad added, etc. I am a prewar model 70 junky. PM me sometime and I'll give you my email.