Tools

Question on bottom metal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Chuck,

The reason for my comment is that picture has "ghost images" and no discernible shadows.

Lighting on the person is very different than on the background with no shadows.

Also you did not say "here I am hiking..."

Your text was more explaining an example

There are no shadows because there is no sun.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chuck, is that up in "The Willmore", and, I gotta say, WHY would your bud choose a RED pack for hunting sheep? You guys are typical of real mountain hunters, kicked in the noggin by a gawdam hayburner, bleed a bit, bandage it up and keep on going....nuts! Smiler

That is the Willmore. He wears red packs so when he gets lost we can find him. Big Grin

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Grwoing up on the ranch I've been kicked, bit, and stmped by hosrse. Luckily I've never taken a hoof to the head. I like horses for hunting when everything goes well, but the one time I hunted with them at elk camp I was glad I brought my own. I've seen a lot of wrecks waiting to happen, and some out right animal abuse by the riders.

If you can believe it he was kicked in the head by the horse in front of him while he was seated in the saddle. I was right behind him and thought we'd be packing out a corpse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...here's my (1986) 270 as promised. I was off a little on the weight, it's 8 lbs 6 oz empty. This is the second barrel and second scope. Though I like the Kahles optically, lack of positive lock on the focus is kind of a pain. I just wrapped the ocular joint with electricians tape.

The new barrel (installed about 17 yrs ago) is a Kreiger that likes to put 130, 140 and 150 bullets within under an inch of each other. I REALLY don't want to wear out this barrel, so only fire a couple of sighters each year.

Engraving is by the late Giuseppi Forte. He had passed away by new barrel time and Bob Swartley was kind enough to match up the engraving.

The latigo sling is the Kurt Haase design..very much to my liking.

I know this rifle is a little dated and has some "age spots". I rub a little "SeaFin" on the stock each year and lightly oil the metal with "3 in one".

I've bagged Antelope, deer, pig and elk...lotta memories here.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice Duane. Thanks for sharing that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, that rifle is awesome! I'm usually not a big fan of engraving, but I do like yours and I especially love the lines of the stock. Thanks!

Chuck, I've been kicked more by other horse while riding mine. Luckily none have ever came close to anything other than my legs. Although the one time my sisters mare kicked me square in the shin, I thought it would kill me.

Closest I ever came to being killed by a animal was a 1200 pound show steer that put both hind feet into my chest, my parents found me passed out in the feed bunk. I was lucky they found me as the steer kicked me hard enough to knock the wind out of me, and I had a very hard time breathing. When my parents found me I guess I was almost blue from lack of oxygen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my front teeth is dead and crooked from a blasted steer.

It was a fluke on the head shot. We were going up a very steep incline, putting the horse in front of him quite high and he bent over to check his cinch at the wrong time. Whammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The average height of a civil war soldier 5-8 1/4" and average weight was 143 pounds..they carried a 9 1/2- 10 lb rifle....I don't get it!

The civil war soldier did not have a choice but in this day and age everyone does. If you don't get it, you have to just think about the business you are in. It is all about choices. Some of them are not the choices we would make but that does not make them wrong ..... or right.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote