Find
Notify
Tools

Remington safety -- want it more secure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
How do I adjust/modify a Remington 700 trigger to a bit "stiffer" for lack of a better term. On one of my rifles the safety moves off of the Safe position a bit easier that I would like. Need to make it "harder" to move if that is possible.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If you were to get some very thin shim stock, drill the proper size hole in it and trim it to fit under the Cir-clip that holds the safety lever on to the trigger. That might make it "stiffer" to move.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did someone work on the trigger and leave out the little ball bearing? Just a possibility if it is real loose.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
Did someone work on the trigger and leave out the little ball bearing? Just a possibility if it is real loose.

No -- it is in there -- for what ever reason this unit is the softest I have ever had on a Remington 700

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might check the ball diameter...If someone had the rifle apart they might have lost the original and installed one that is undersize.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a broken safety lever on a 1971 model and just replaced it with one from Rifle Basix and it works real nice. They give you all the pieces you need. $29 in Midway.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Try to fit a stiffer spring under the ball or 2) Check to see if the detent recess on the safety lever, where the steel ball snaps in, is deep enough. If it's not, carefully deepen it just a bit. A drill press or Dremel tool and a pointed grinder bit would do that job pretty well.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote