New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock blank size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to play with a log and a stump in the next few days. I remember from a recent post where/how to make several different cuts.

Right now i only need to know how long to make the first pieces?

Can I store those pieces in the attic?

Thanks,
Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cut them at least 3-4 inches longer than the stocks you want to make. Paint the ends or wax or seal them with tar. If you do not do that, they will split during drying. Dry them one year per inch of thickness. I store them in my basement as it is not too dry in there in the summer; you don't want them to dry too fast. The attic might be ok. In the winter, it will be too dry in your house to start with; outdoor shed or barn is better.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Keith

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree 3-4" Little extra always makes set up a touch easier if you need to move for a flaw.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And it allows for some end checking which sometimes happens no matter what you do.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the tree out of the creek. Log had lots of branches so we eyed it up and cut the pieces to 40". Then eyed it some more and cut them lengthwise.

Now how wide and how thick?

Gonna try to get the stump up the bank too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have cut the logs to 40", you should have left the whole log unit in one section and fully cut the log in one slab, 3 inches thick. Please see my website and our About Us section. You will see a picture of me in a tree in 1966 when I first started cutting walnut. There are over 50 pictures that will give you a perspective of how it should be done.

YOU SHOULD NEVER CUT THE LOGS INTO SHORT LENGTHS. you don't know where the layout of the blanks will be. I have over 50 years of experience cutting walnut.

Note, See the photos it should be self-explanatory: Where the crotch areas in the tree I have allowed enough length past the crotch area to get the fore-end running correct for rifle blanks, (Always leave enough length to make sure you're going to get actually get the blanks in the first place.)

http://www.rogervardystockwood.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have zero experience in cutting walnut. I was given this tree that was laying in a creekbed at the edge of a pasture. Short of bringing in an excavator the only way it was coming out was in pieces.

I told the people that they might find someone who would do that, you were not going to take an excavator in their pasture.

The other alternative was fire wood lenghts. I just want to mess around with this and maybe when I retire I will pay someone to let me play with making a stock in their shop.

So, I might get one decent stock piece out of the ten 40" log halves I have now.

I do know now to cut it 3" thick and am currently looking for someone with a band saw to help me.

Thanks,

Keith

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
hope you get lucky. If it were me I'd end up with the best layout across 2 pieces. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote