Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted
)(*&

Posts: 755 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And you'd just be wasting your time by calling UPS customer service in Atlanta. Been there, done that last Friday.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Did he tell you the "law" requires that, or that "company policy" does?

If he said it is the law, then of course he is wrong. On the other hand, if he said it was company policy, he may or may not be wrong. They do have the right to make and enforce such a policy. (I believe it would be a stupid business decision, but they do have the right to turn away business if they want to.)

Unfortunately, they also have the right to hire ignorant employees.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does that not only apply to the USPS?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ship United States Postal Service Priority Insured. Priority Mail is checked every time it stops, and again when it is restarted. I’ve never had trouble with the USPS except for once when I shipped in State. The counter lady bucked up and said I couldn’t mail a firearm. I said to her “go trot out your Post Master and tell him to bring the Postal Regs with him.” I then pointed out the regulation to him, page and paragraph, problem solved. I also ship handguns USPS but have to get a local FFL involved.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid problems KNOW the Regulations BEFORE and have a COPY of them Prior to shipping with which ever agency

you choose to ship with !.

What can be sent via UPS;
How it must be sent;
Who can send it and
Who can receive it?

A Licensed Collector (CFL) may ship to:

A Licensed Collector (CFL)

A Licensed Gun dealer (FFL)

A Firearms Manufacturer (for repair or adjustment only)

A Law Enforcement Agency (but not a police officer's home unless the officer is a licensed gun dealer)

A Firearms Manufacturer may ship to:

A Firearms Manufacturer

A Licensed Gun Dealer (FFL)

An Individual1 (for repair or adjustment only)

A Law Enforcement Agency (but not a police officer's home unless the officer is a licensed gun dealer)

A Licensed Gun Dealer (FFL) may ship to:

A Licensed Gun Dealer (FFL)

An Individual1 may ship to:

A Licensed Importer (for repair or customizing only)

A Licensed Gun Dealer (FFL) (for repair or customizing only)

NOTE: The shipment of a firearm from an individual1 to an another individual1 is prohibited in the UPS system. UPS will only accept handguns for shipment (from and to authorized legal parties) via UPS Next Day Air services (Early A.M., Next Day Air, or Next Day Air Saver).

Handguns cannot be shipped from the following facilities:

One Time Pickup

On Call Pickup

Letter Centers (drop boxes)

The UPS Store

Internet Shipping

UPS Sonic Air

UPS Authorized Shipping Outlets (ASOs)

This UPS procedure change affects only handguns, not all firearms.

Other firearms, including shotguns, rifles, etc. can be shipped by authorized legal parties via One Time Pickup service or through a UPS Customer Center.

Firearms will not be accepted for shipment from any UPS Commercial Counter and/or Authorized Shipping Outlet. There cannot be anything written or printed on the package that indicates the package contains a handgun or firearm. The shipper cannot pack ammunition in the same shipping container as the handgun. The shipper must segregate handgun shipments for the driver. The shipper must apply the Adult Signature Required label (21 years of age or older).

Antique firearms may be shipped via the UPS system, and are not required to be shipped via UPS's Next Day Air service. An antique firearm is a firearm that was manufactured in or before 1898 or any replica, muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, and muzzle-loading pistol, which are designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute. An antique firearm cannot use fixed ammunition and is not considered a handgun for the purposes of determining the method the antique firearm may be shipped.

Ammunition: UPS accepts domestic ground and air shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", or "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). A Hazardous Materials Transportation Contract may be required to ship such packages with UPS. Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 1-800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information. BB Guns, Pellet Guns and Air Rifles are not considered firearms and can be shipped with no additional restrictions.

Please note, UPS cannot ship a CO2 cartridge that may be part of an Air Rifle.

The shipping of automatic weapons is prohibited in the UPS system.

Definition: Automatic Weapon - An automatic weapon is any weapon which is designed to shoot automatically more than one shot without manual reloads by a single function of the trigger.

1 a person not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law to possess a firearm.

This information is from a UPS reply letter to Carol Troy, President; Thompson Collectors Asso. website (http://home.comcast.net/~tca1934/TCA_Main%20Page.htm)

Most of the hassles and stringent enforcement of regulations has come about because of Terrorist and

Homeland Security ,BATFE ,FBI, NSA ,CIA whom ever you wish to believe pulls the strings !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that with UPS it matters which box you check on the shipping form. If you say you are shipping to a residence, their new policy is to have the FFL. If you check the "business" box, they don't care. My neighbor, and shooter, let me know this a while back. It is the residence thing that matters, or should.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Easiest and least aggravating to just use other than UPS. After several inaccurate and plain wrong experiences with the manager of the office in my city (30 miles each way away) I refuse to use them.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I always ship via USPS 2nd day priority, never have any problems. UPS loses things, breaks things, costs more, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easiest and least aggravating to just use other than UPS. After several inaccurate and plain wrong experiences with the manager of the office in my city (30 miles each way away) I refuse to use them.

+1---UPS is the bigest rip off artist I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. Want satisfacion?---Use somebody else!!! AND if you are ordering something from the US ask what shipping co. they use and if it is UPS---pass!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imhance:
I ship United States Postal Service Priority Insured. Priority Mail is checked every time it stops, and again when it is restarted.

The highest form of USPS security is "Registered" mail. It's kept under lock and key and is signed for whenever it changes hands while in their system. If the package doesn't get to its destination, somebody will have some explaining to do.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I then pointed out the regulation to him, page and paragraph

I had the opposite happen here in "gun country, USA" (San Antonio, TX). UPS took it without blinking an eye but the local postmaster said he knew the regulations allowed it and still wouldn't do it. I could take it up with his boss, downtown if I liked but it was just faster and easier to drive the 18 miles to the UPS hub.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the numbers for the USPS regulations that govern shipping of these types of items?

Is it possible to order a copy of the applicable regulations?

The I can just bring two certified copies; one for the post hoe and one to put in the package Cool

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANY and ALL regulations are available on line regardless of which shipper you use Even freight lines .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I had a UPS guy (he is the franchise owner of a new UPS Store) tell me that they taught him in his new owner classes in California that he could not accept for shipment rifle scopes because they were 'gun parts'.

They would have to go to the airport hub to be shipped.

I guess business is so good they can refuse to ship 12 ounces of steel and glass.
Roll Eyes

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote