New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Gunsmith's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got my very first centerfire deer rifle back from my brother inlaw this past season, and am going to have it rebuilt. It is an old BCD code 1944 Mauser. It has no serial number on the receiver. Just a serial number on the barrell. Not import marked, Waffenmat stamps still present. Is this a problem when the barrell gets replaced? I have seen a few old 22's with no receiver number but wonder what the laws are on a centerfire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off I'm not a gunsmith 1. I would think it's going to be difficult to ship or have a FFL gunsmith

receive your rifle if it doesn't have a serial number or identification on the receiver of some sort !.

Especially NOW DAYS !. Opinions vary and I've been wrong before , so it's just that an Opinion !.

thumb

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are millions of guns, in this country, that have no serial numbers. most of the older Win. and Rem. single shot, pump and autoloaders, in 22 rimfire, were never marked by the factories. There is no problem witth shipping them to an FFL holder/gunsmith for repair.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as long as the gun was made before the GCA 0f 1968 it is not a problem.....after that it is a big problem.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an older 22 with no serial number.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a Herter's sold Zastava (Mark X) that has no serial number. Not at all un-common with vintage firearms.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Often serial numbers will be below the woodline. It's uncommon for a military arm to not have one.

Posts: 50 | Location: Corrales, NM | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought guns from pawn shops that were so old they did not have a serial number.

They would often copy from text off the gun like " 22 short" and put that on ATF form 4473 in the serial number box.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
In the block for serial number put NSN. I do it all the time for guns manufactured prior to the GCA of 1968

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wanted, you could have the smith engrave the number from the barrel onto the receiver.