New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 rechamber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering rechambering a TC carbine .22 barrel to 22 mag. I would like to do the work my self. Any one know how diffulct this job will be?
I have never tried this before. I do have some machine skills and have a mini lathe and mill.
Thanks
Rich [Cool]

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
As long as the reamer pilot is long enough to reach the lands before the reamer engages you can do it with a T handle tap wrench and plenty of cutting oil. Be as careful as you would be with a small tap to not put side pressure on the reamer. Go slow and clean out the chips often.

Be SURE to headspace with a guage. If a rimfire rim recess is too shallow the cartridge can fire when you close the breech.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.I think I will give it a try.
Rich [Cool]

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Better hold on there partner.. the 22 is .223 the 22mag is .224.

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't let a mere .001 of bore size scare me.Those lead bullets are very soft. I've seen many a Cooey reamed from 22LR to 22WMR.How do you think Ruger and others made the single actions with two cylinders? Go to it.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
If you post this question on the single-shot pistol forum, you will find several members that have rechambered Contenders in this caliber. Most of them report excellent accuracy.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what happens if you chamber a jacked .224 bullet in a .223 barrel? Excessvie pressure?

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
CISCO---

Not enough to measure reliably. I shoot literally thousands of .224 bullets through a couple .223 K-Hornets. There is a difference in accuracy but not noticebly pressure changes.

I once shot quite few .366 360 #2 Nitro bullets through a Purdy double rifle that had been made with a .358 barrel. No damage and no pressures signs.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
OK. Actually the 22LR barrel is closer to .221" than .223". Be that as it may be, I wouldn't worry about pressure too much with the 22 magnum. The bullets used in the magnums are soft jacketed and will swage down rather easily. I shoot several types of Hornady 22 jacketed bullets through a 22LR rimfire barrel. I have rechambered and converted a couple of rifles to shoot a 25ACP case necked to 22 caliber. I have found some bullets which give pressure problems, but those type bullets are not used in the 22 Magnum factory rounds. Besides that, several of the convertable cylinder revolvers shoot both rounds and have the 22LR bore diameter.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rembo

Ruger bored the barrels of the Single Sixes for .22 WMR, which is one of the reasons why accuracy for .22 RF is not so good.

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote