New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reluctant gunsmith, how to deal with them
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I sent a rifle to a gunsmith in Washington back in June of 2012. Ive talked to him several times and he tells me each time that he is making progress on its repair and restoration. This is a Remington M591, 5mm Mag. It was exposed to saltwater during Hurricane Katrina and the barrel needed to be replaced. He represented himself to be competent in replacing the barrel and furnishing a magazine for the rifle. All the parts were there and would work: it just needed to be cleaned and the barrel replaced.

The last time we talked, he told me that he has repalced the barrel and that he would send it back to me. That was about two months. How would you deal with this person?

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tell him to send it back as is and you will find another, competent one to finish the job. Or, pay him a personal visit and take someone named Guido or Vinny with you. Make him an offer he can't refuse. Otherwise, it is hard, and any legal route will cost more than the rifle is worth. Threatening to expose him on the "net" might, or might not, work.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Keep calling. I live here in Wa and had a problem with a local guy's work and it was only resolved after many conversations. He eventually refunded a portion of my money because I thought the job he did was so poor.

Also, ask if he is the actual person doing the work or if he has an apprentice/assistant. Although I can't prove it in my case, I am almost certain that his helper did the work. This is because he was unable to answer very specific questions as to why the job was left as it was. I told him I didn't mind the apprentice doing the work if a) I was told that to begin with and b) that the work was the same quality as the person to whom I wrote the check. If he aligns himself with any professional member organization consider that route as well. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One question I would ask from the other side of the coin, when you sent him the work did you outline a time frame with him?

I have several customer projects in the shop that are "when I get to them" jobs. Others have specific time frames.

Consider the following: I once had a customer drop off a handgun for me to look at. When he dropped it off I told him I would work on it as soon as I was able. He called and yelled and screamed and swore at me because I had had his job for over two weeks and it wasn't finished.

Now, I cannot speak for your gunsmith. But, if I were you. I would call and ask the following questions.

What is the current state of your project?
What work has been completed?
What work remains to be completed?
What time frame can you have the work completed in?
Get a specific date and clearly state to him that the rifle will be returned completed or not by that date.

I stopped accepting work because I have a stupid backlog. I do not have any pissed customers, but I do not want any either. I have one gentleman's job that has been in my safe for well over a year. We've never discussed a completion date.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote