New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 WSM on a Remington 700 long action--feeding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can't get this combination to feed from the magazine. We changed out the magazine box with one designed for the ultramag cartridges and no luck. We next tried switching out the follower with one from a 700 ADL in .300 WSM. and still no luck. Do you think changing to a follower from the .300 Ultra Mag will make any difference used in conjunction with the Ultra Mag magazine box? When you push the bolt forward, the cartridge pops up and jams if you load more than one in the magazine. It will load one from the magazine ok most of the time. Any ideas?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the cartridges shorter than the box? If so have you tried loading them forward as recoil will bring them there anyway?

Where do they jam? What hits first?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are the cartridges shorter than the box?

Hugh?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the cartridges a lot shorter than the box?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello sambubba

I have not yet tried this long action conversion with a short mag. cartridge in a Rem. 700...but..here is what I have done to solve this problem in a short action Rem. 700....

I have made a fixture to hold the Rem. 700 short action up at 90 degrees to the angle of the feed ramp....The fixture holds the action in place via the two front scope mount holes....in my case they are of the 8-40 variety as this is the standard upgrade on the Silhouette Target Rifles and serious hunter guns that I build.

I then use a .625 dia. end mill to carefully bore out the existing feed ramp so that it just barely cleans up at the tangent point of the existing feed ramp.

By making the radius of the feed ramp larger, It tends to not allow the second or third round in line from popping up and jamming the works when trying to chamber the following round.....

I have also found that you should use the Rem. 700 SAUM magazine box and follower to make it work....The open sides of the SAUM magazine box allow the short fat stuff to drift a little sidways and allow the feed rails that little extra bit to keep the following rounds in place when the bolt is cycled.

This process also works with the Win. super short stuff also....I know this because I'm doing a .243 WSSM on a Rem. 700 short action and they feed just fine....But remember, you'll have to open up the feed rails just enough.... so that you can push the short fat rounds down from the top....

My guess would be that the long action might not be well suited for this project due to the geomtry of the longer action which will perhaps create feeding problems with the shorter fat cartridges...I'm not sure, because I have not tried the short stuff on the long action.

good luck..

Marvin Pearson
Precision Target Sports, Inc.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chehalis, WA | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Metalhead.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote