New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman No. 48 W rear sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 1926 Model 54 that I want to restore to original configuration. Old ads denote the 48W as the factory option. I see ads for thw 48 "WJS", is this OEM? What can I espect to pay for a 48 W?Are rear leaf sight base covers available? There is no rear leaf and from old literature it appears that there was a plug in the dovetail originally. Were Marble front beads original? I really appreciate all the assistance with this.

Jay Kolbe

[ 11-10-2003, 07:16: Message edited by: snowcat ]

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my gunsights book, the

48W - Win. M54

48WJ - Win. M54 (Early and New Model)

48WJS - Win. M54 and 70, Rem. M's 700,721,722, Sav. M110, & Weatherby Mark 5.

You can count out the WJS as the M70, Rem. M's 700,721,722, Sav. M110, & Weatherby Mark 5 weren't availabale when your gun was made so there wouldn't have been sights for them.

So it's either the W or WJ. But only the W was available in 1926.

Has the side of the stock had wood remover to allow for the sight base? If not the gun never had a receiver sight as mounting blocks with rear radiused weren't available until 1947.

The book show that as optional sights available for this gun,

The 48W Receiver Sight, ( collector's note: when this sight was ordered, a Lyman No. 6W two folding leaf sight replaced the one folding, one standing leaf Lyman No. 66W Rear Sight, if requested).

Marbles front sights were optional,

Marbles Standard Front Sight,
Marbles 895 Blade Front Sight
Marbles "Sheard" Front Sight

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob-
I can't thank you enough for the research. Yes, the stock has been relieved and the receiver tapped for the sight. It looks as if I'm going to have to hold out for the 48W. I see that another thread is active here along the same lines, I'll let him know that a WJS is cuttently avasilable on eBay. Can you do me one more favor and give me the citation for the book in which you found all the above information? I'd like to track down a copy. Thanks again!
Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[It's calles "OLD GUNSIGHTS - A Collectors Guide, 1850-1965.
by Nick Stroebel

Krause pub.

You can get it for about $10 on ebay anytime. Right now there about 6 auctions for it.

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote