Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving styles and cost.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Some of the people on the forum have asked that I talk a bit about engraving styles and expense. I will address the styles I work in, which are of English back ground (sort of odd perhaps since "Kehr" is of German decent).

The only two styles of English engraving that I am familiar with is Victorian and English. I'm not much of an engraving historian, but Lynton McKenzie was and he sort of gave me the run down as to the differences. Boiled down, it comes to Victorian type engraving (an open scroll like I have been posting photos of) being the norm in the middle 1800's when the engravers in the country were primarily gun engravers using hammer and chisel for the arms of the day. Later on, engravers from the print industry proliferated because of the switch from engraved plates to photographs in the printing trade. These engravers were well versed in the use of the push graver, but not hammer and chisel. This is where the rose and scroll was born. These engravers didn't have the ability to cut the heavier "Vic" type scroll. These are about the only styles of engraving I am interested in. I have done a few black leaf jobs and no oak leaf. These I believe are rooted in German engraving and hold no particular interest to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. Just not what flips my switch.

Now, to prices. Every individual engraver sets their own prices. I don't have a price list per se. I have always worked off of direct quotes. I know, I know..........I should have a price list, but it's not that simple as my engraving patterns are typically one offs. If I worked off of pattern A, B and C it would be a piece of cake to have a price list. It's even possible that I should design a couple of patterns that would work on the more popular engraving projects to save design time and thus save money for the potential client. It has been my experience that most people prefer to have the individualized engraving job. Sorry, I am rambling so here goes.

Animals from about 3/4" to 1 inch run 500 dollars.

Same as above with inlayed gold adds 250 plus the price of
the gold(100-150).

Game scenes are as much as you want to spend. A simple one as I have posted with the wolf on the buttplate would run about 1500 and go up from there.

3/4 coverage on the action, bottom metal, grip cap, sights and scope rings runs 3500 for Victorian scroll. 6 to 7 grand for the same pattern cut in relief (background chiseled away and stippled. English scroll would run about 4000 for the same coverage.

Full gold border work adds 1500 for a bolt action type job.

That sort of gives you an idea as to cost. If you would want a 1/4 coverage job it would ballpark around 1300. Half coverage 2100 or so.

Many people ask me how to get the most out of their dollars for engraving with a budget. There are sort of two schools of thought in that regard. Concentrate all of the engraving on the triggerguard unit. That's what shows in the gun case or safe. The second method is to do the corners. Which spreads a bit of scroll and border work all over the firearm.

By the way the picture I have currently posted as "Shameless self promotion" would be considered a 3/4 coverage engraving job.

I hope this helps people get an idea of cost and scroll expectations, at least from me.

Good luck with your future projects......Gentlemen.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger,

thanks for the breakdown. One thing i noticed you didn't put down, that I am sure you have posted before and probably have sent out to some of us, but would probably interest a lot of people here...the prices for lettering and lettering with gold inlay. Also, the price for gold inlays in the rifle sights.

Sorry to cause you more trouble. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Hi Red,

I thought about including lettering, but thought the post may have been too long already.

Caliber and /or makers designations on the barrel run $4.50 per letter. Gold inlayed would be about $15.00 per letter.

Monogram type lettering and design would cost about a 100 quid. Gold inlayed would go 150-175.

I hope that helps.

Roger

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Maybe I missed it in your post , what is the cost for - "just the corners". Is that considered 1/4 coverage or 1/2 coverage?

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Bill

Less than 1/4 coverage. Depending on what all parts and pieces of the gun are involved, probably in the 900-1000 ballpark.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Roger, when do you engrave, before bluing, after, or no bluing at all? How do you get the grey color?

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
GSP

I engrave before bluing. The photos I have posted are with the metal in the white. The parts will be blued after I have completed the engraving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Do you, or have you ever done any engraving on revolvers? Nothing like the Keith No. 5 or a custom shop 1st generation Colt SAA; more like the coverage on Seyfried's No.13. Do you have any ballpark figures for 1/4 coverage/edge coverage revolver?

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote