New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of Bolt knob jobs by Tip Burns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you guys have pictures of Tig welded bolt handles by Tip Burns? Looking for a Oberndorf/Rigby/burgess style done by Tip.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Why don't you call or email him? If he has any pictures I will be happy to post them here if he emails them to me.

He has not done any bolt handles for me so I can't help you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need some pics of oberndorf handles as well, I need them for when Mark Stratton gets cleared up do replace the dmaned dog leg on my enfield.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles , I already called him about some work. Im just not to familier with samples of his work

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Thanks Charles , I already called him about some work. Im just not to familier with samples of his work

Rick

I wish I could be more help. He has done bedding and feeding work for me, fitted safeties, scope mounts, etc. but no bolt handles.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's one Tom Burgess did for me:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006 , I would want alot shorter root for scope clearence

This is another Tom Burgess knob job.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Oberndorf-style knob with shorter curved root on CZ550:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP your pic doesn't show for me..?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Those handles are meant for open sight use and without notching the receiver. As such they are great. To use one with a scope would require very high rings indeed.

Here's one I did.

For scoped use you must mount the handle lower on the root. The resulting handle will not resemble these.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red I coulnt get that pix to upload at photo bucket either. Its just like the oberndorf that fla3006 posted

posted Hide Post
I haven't had the type of work done that you are talking about. However, he has done alot of work for me including rebarreling a Browning Safari Grade with the original barrel 3 step contour.
There is a member on here, Rusty, that had Tip build 2 Jeffry chambered rifles for him. Tip's work is good and he will work with you.

Deans

Posts: 37 | Location: Magnolia,TX | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r,

Are those Jim Baiar's Oberndorf bolt handles?

They sure are sweet looking! Nice work BTW.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
DavidC,

Thanks.

The handle on the right is Jim's. The one attached to the bolt is a Talley. Jim's is going on my mannlicher project.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

How would that shape knob look if setup for a scope?

Red

-Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Red,

It would look a lot like the one fla3006 posted.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
As alway's, I'm taken by your work. Very nice ZR1.

Forrest, you torture me everytime you post a picture of that CZ550 Mad Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006-

when you refer to a the commercial bolt in the post above, is that an original Oberdorf sporter bolt? thanks!

BTW-who did the CZ 550 Bolt? It looks a lot like how I do them

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how is Jim Baiar and does he sell the bolt handles shown above? I googled him and did not come up with anything. Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r,

I have 4 of Jim's traditional Obenrdorf handles all waiting to go on various rifle projects. I really love the look of these bolt knobs.... Smiler

Marc,

Mr. Baiar has 2 different bolt handles he offers for sale. One he calls the Traditional style favored by Tom Burgess and seen on fla3006's cz550 and the other is the Oberndorf in z1r's pic.

You can contact Jim at...

Halfmoon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Rd.
Columbia Falls, MT 59912
(406)892-4409

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, OK. I did not realize he was the owner of Half Moon. I talked to him about bolt handles a couple of months ago when I ran out of Gungoddess and had to order some more. I think I am going to buy a couple of these handle and see how they look.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Oh, OK. I did not realize he was the owner of Half Moon. I talked to him about bolt handles a couple of months ago when I ran out of Gungoddess and had to order some more. I think I am going to buy a couple of these handle and see how they look.

Thanks!

Look on the label of a bottle of Gun Goddess, and you will see Jim’s name and title (Owner) very prominently displayed.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best looking bolt handles I've seen were ALL done by Dennis Olson! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Marc, the bottom bolts in my first post are of an original Oberndorf sporter. The top bolts are 1909 Peruvians with new bolt handles by Tom Burgess, made to look like the original Oberndorf.

The bolt handle on the CZ500 is Tom's own creation, much like yours.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So it looks like no one has a oberdorf style done by Tip?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:

The best I have seen, bar none, have been done by David Miller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:

The best I have seen, bar none, have been done by David Miller.

Yes, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote