Find
Notify
Tools

Side x Side Going Off Face; Repair?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
If a s x s shotgun is shooting off face, mean that it does not lock up tight and there is slight side to side movement whit the action closed is the shim method an ok fix? I mean, can a piece of shim stock be glued in the hook and squared up w/ a file. If the gun then locks up tight is this an adequate repair?
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Adequate? Depends. It will work until it falls out; it is not a permanent fix; you need a new hinge pin. BUT; Make sure your frame is not stretched or cracked, same for the barrel lug. Find out why it got that way in the first place and if it is from wear on the pin or hinge, then the best way to deal with that is a new hinge pin. If it is a cheap shotgun, quit shooting it and get another one.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better to build it up with weld and bring it down slowly for optimum fit.

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/results....youtube.P8msD9S1EBE

The guy from Midway recommends the shim repair. If it is not good, should he be supporting it?
joe

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
"Good" is relative. It is a quick, temporary fix for a cheap shotgun that someone does not want to fix correctly. Yes, building up the barrel lug with weld is a good way, but a new, hinge pin is easier to do. I also depends on where the wear is.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some cheaper sxs shot guns...and that INCLUDES the Webley 700 cannot be repaired with a new hinge pin and must be repaired by re-facing the hook.

As others have posted shimming is a cheap quick fix used by the unscrupulous to pass off as in good order a tired shot gun.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Of course there is aways the bubba way with a center punch and a ball peen hammer Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I don't think I will go for the Bubba method. But, I think that the shim the hook method will be fine. I don't shoot this gun very much anyway and I don't think I would ever wear out the repair. A guy offered me $1500 for it several years ago, but I don't think it is worth that much. I sure don't want to put $300 or more into it however, I don't mind paying for the shim repair which should cost a lot less than that. Will let you know what the GS says.
joe