Find
Notify
Tools

71/84 Stock Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Many years ago I picked up a Bannerman 71/84 Mauser. The metal was great. The stock, less so. I have wanted to replace the stock but have yet to find a decent original that was not on a decent rifle. I did find an advertisement for a Gentleman who makes them but he hasn't in the last 18 months that I have been in contact.

Question is: If I bondo up this stock some to take care of the chips, cracks and missing pieces, is there someone who could duplicate it? As it is a 71/84 I believe the hard part is the long tunnel for the magazine tube.

Thanks,

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The much easier way is to make it in two pieces and splice them together under the band. But yes, fixing an original is a good way to make a pattern stock; I use wood, bondo, epoxy.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The Bannermans were all cut short barrel and fore arm wise. It is a great brush gun, short, handy and packs a pretty good punch. It's just the stock that is total beat all to heck. Chunks out of it, areas sanded very low, pieces spliced in very poorly. I just need to restock it. Figured if I could get a good one I could cut it down or have this one duplicated after I cleaned it up. As I said that long (20"?) whole for the magazine tube seem troubling.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The holes are drilled first and the stocks turned around them. I bet they still had lots of scrap.
Just checked mine; if you make it in two pieces, you would only have to drill a 7 inch hole in the butt end. Then the forearm would be drilled and the barrel inletted over that, and the foreend shaped by hand. I have made musket stocks that way. The splice is hidden by the band. It is not a hard shape to make. Clean yours up and fill the holes. The stock duplicator can be adjusted to add wood to the outside where it was sanded. I might be talked into making one....catch me at a weak time.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I'll get about cleaning mine up and let you know when it is ready. If you have a weak moment about then so much the better.

Dave