THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmakers/Gunsmiths: Source for actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

Is there somewhere that, in your experience, is fairly reliable with respect to the quality of the actions that they sell. My particular concern would be with getting an action that would be suitable for a foundation for a future custom rifle project. Mausers in particular, but I am also be interested in 1903 Springfields. I don't want to buy a bargain basement action only to find out that it has excessive lug set back or something else that wouldn't make it a good candidate for a custom. I am willing to pay a little more (within reason) for a good action if I can be reasonably confident in its condition. These projects that I keep posting questions related to are a little ways down the road, but I know that good actions aren't going to be around forever so I am thinking of aquiring the foundations for these projects now and sticking them in the back of the safe until I am ready to send them off to the smith. With this in mind a supplier offering a warranty may not do me much good, therefore I want to be confident in what I am getting now.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't mention in your profile where you're from....if you're in Canada, I have some nice FN Mausers tucked away that I might be convinced to part with. If you're in the U.S., getting them 'across the line' would probably be too much hassle, unfortunately. I never seem to get around to building my own 'dream collection', so somebody else might as well have a go.. [Frown]

Posts: 5852 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know what, I just won an auction on a 1908 Brazilian for 65 bucks, and am talking to the guy as he has another one that from the pictures looks like fantastic condition. Like you I won't be starting any projects in the immediate future but I am hoping to go to gunsmithing school someday and will need extras for that.

If you want I can ask the guy how many more actions he has and send you his e-mail address. You are correct in the fact that they appear to be drying up, at least the Springfields seem to be more scarce in my area lately.

I also work with a lady who's nephew deals firearms and he told me that he has some old military stuff he will cut a deal on, but I have to get some money together and then drive the 5 hours to meet him and see what we are talking about. Send me an e-mail and I will remember to let you know what all he has if I ever get to go check it out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbleweed,

Thanks for the offer, but I am on the "other side of the line" and you are probably right about the trouble being more than it's worth.

Red,

You should have e-mail. If not drop me a line at rotty@zoo.uvm.edu and I'll get back to you.

Thanks to both of you,
Bob

<RickMD>
posted
Bob:

I just bought 5 Mauser 98/22's from Century International for $250.00 (complete rifles @ $50.00 each).

They're Brno's made in the mid 20's. Most had some minor pitting below the stock line but nothing a little filing didn't fix. They're great actions.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
By your handle and e-mail address I'd say your close to The Island Smith on North Hero, he may have some actions on hand. if not he can get you most anything available.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote