New
Find
Notify
Tools

MAGNAPORTING
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone had a rifle (like a 30 cal magnum) Magnaported? What's you experience and thoughts on it? What did it do to the effective barrel length? and velocity? and accuracy?

Magnum

Posts: 62 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 375 H&H done. It slowed muzzle rise considerably. I didn't like the increase in noise. Didn't hurt accuracy or velocity. Sold it off. I now have the same model rifle without Magna-Porting or brake. I like it beter.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Magnaport tends to take the upward force of the recoil and drive it straight back into the shoulder IMO...I would much prefer a KDF or Vias type of muzzle brake...I don't use them but I have tried about all of them at one time or another....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sako Fiberclass 375 H&H that was Mag-Na-Ported. Since I use earmuffs at range, I didn't notice additional noise levels through my muffs like I do when someone is shooting a boss type brake. Noticed very little muzzle rise off bench but did notice recoil came straight back. A Decellerator pad instead of the factory pad would cure some of that. I gave rifle to my brother and he is happy as a clam. Of course I am still waiting for the elk hunt he promised me.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you plan on hunting with hearing protection in place it does not matter. On that point alone I reject all porting all brakes on hunting rifles.

Don't get me wrong, they all work. Infact, I once had a Reminton bolt gun in 270 brought to me for repair. It had a bulge under the front sight, like someone shot out a patch. On a lark I counterbored the muzzle back about 3" with a bit that just cleaned up the rifling, maybe a "K" size. I then put nine 3/32" holes on either side of the front sight. Well, it shot fine. Recoil and muzzle jump was reduced dramatically. Noise was way up. We ended up cutting and recrowning. I can say such a simple porting method sure worked like a dream. The result was simmilar to other fancy expensive schemes I have shot.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very early Mark 5 Weatherby in 300Wby that I could not use if it wasn't for the Magnaporting. Yeh, I got a flinch problem! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote