New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would send it back to the seller if you don't want it.

Since you thought you were getting an over the counter cartridge the seller should pay the return fee's and refund the money before you ship it. At least that's my opinion.

The cartridge makes a very fine cast bullet cartridge it's just that it does not go in that sporter.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
........ really beautiful ............

Posts: 84 | Location: alaska | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Alf, is the 400/350 on the intermediate action? I thought it was closer to the 375. I have 2 slant box Rigby-Mauser actions and plan on a 303. I am debating the 2nd caliber. Any suggestions? So far I'm thinking either 6.5x54R or 7x57R.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Awesome thread guys! I have no real interest in this, but Alf you are something. Very informative and I learned a little of sporting Mausers to boot. Great job!

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Superb piece of work, Alf. Thanks again

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf: I really appreciate all the research you have done on this thread, I hope you are right as to cartridge. It would mean that i can most likely buy brass or ammo to shoot as opposed to forming brass. I can't wait for the cerrosafe to get here so i can cast the chamber and confirm your findings. Is it possible that pouring lead into a room temperature barrel could cause shrinkidge of the casting to give the smaller reading? I did it twice but only when the barrel was cool and still get about .308 groove to groove. I think i will try doing it to a 30-06 i have here and see if comes out similiar to this bore. O'kay, I just cast the 30-06 bore and they are basically the same. Now bear in mind that i do not think that this is a Mauser sporter but a german made copy, So maybe this was put together for the troops going home by some enterprising gunsmith. It is unless i am missing something, A 30 caliber bore. Now it is rimmed but not the usual suspects so i am thinking possibly a early wildcat using a available rimmed case? This is starting to get exciting! I will definitely compare the cartidge drawings you provided with the chamber cast to see if anything matches. I will let you know, Thanks, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote