Notify
Tools

Question about quarter rib and front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy All,

Okay, sorry for the uniformed questions. I have a rifle that has a quarter rib and a banded type NECG front sight, which I guess are soldered to the barrel?

Anyway, the rib and sight are installed incorrectly. The quarter rib is not square to the square bridges of the action, it is tilted just a bit to the right as I'm looking down the barrel. The front sight is tilted to the left quite a bit. If I had to guess I would say the front sight is 5 degrees off vertical.

So what would be entailed in a repair? I'm guessing the barrel would need to be reblued after the sight reinstall? Any ballpark idea of costs?

Thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, the thing I question is whether it was silver brazed. I would not want to heat it up as much as necessary to move both.

the barrel and sights would have to be re-lued after it was done. It would be a fairly straight-forward job to heat and move both it done with something like "Force-44"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote