New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sectioning a Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a take-off barrel that I'm willing to sacrifice to science by having it sectioned for inspection/photography. I'm assuming that this could be accomplished with a band saw designed to cut metal- am I correct? If that's the case, I'll try to find a local machine shop that can do it.

Anyone done this before?

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to use a horizontal mill, which offers much better control over the amount of metal removed and a much cleaner surface after the cut is made.

Metal cuttng bandsaws are more oriented toward making lateral cuts rather than longitudinal ones in my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a couple on a milling machine. A band saw will work but will be difficult to control the cut if you go along the axis of the bore. A horizontal or vertical mill will do a much better job and not take much longer.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What are you wanting to see?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throat erosion (if any), fouling, cleaning rod damage, etc. Essentally an autopsy of a well-used but not abused rifle barrel. If there's anything interesting, I'll put it in an article.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
To me "sectioned" means cutting the barrel into individual pieces. Handy if you want to see a demonstration in the variation of wall thickness. What you want to do is dissect the barrel, down the middle, from end to end to expose the entire length of the bore. Easily and best accomplished with a milling machine. Set the bore on centers and get after it. Work the heavy end first.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, my apologies on the incorrect term. I don't have a mill so I'll try to find someone local to do it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just saw it in two; you just want to see it; I assume you don't care if it is perfectly truly "sectioned". So milling it will just cost much more than the results warrant. I have milled them and sawing will be faster and cheaper. Milling tends to be much more expensive if you have to pay for it; depends on how much you want to put into it. If you want a perfect half; as stated above, have to mill it flat.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote