New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth .243 What 98 was used ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know a bloke whom has a whitworth .243 he wants to sell and while the bore is rough the cation seems ok but looks like it could do with a good clean, what where these guns in .243 like ?? and what 98 action was generally used, was wondering about a re-barrel to 30/06 or .458 in mag etc. would not go longer than .458 win mag length.

I have no $$ at the moment and thats also a dampner but it could be put away for the future Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
"Whitworths" used Yugoslav (Mark X-type) actions. They are OK, but some had some pretty heavy-handed polishing jobs before being blued. You can detect these by looking along the surfaces of the receiver, and see the wavy lines!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep watch for the heavy polish. I think the earlier ones with the floorplate release in the triggerguard were better than the later ones with the cross pin.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an early one in .243 it's amazingly accurate. The action is best suited to the 30-06 sized cartridges though.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote