New
Find
Notify
Tools

My square shaft, center punches...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
made by Starrett are getting dull and worn. I will just rust blue the shafts, but I wonder where I can get them sharpened. My lathe is gone. Does anybody know where I can get that done at a semi-reasonable rate? I am just guessing that Starrett, being located in Athol, MA, is proud of their work at union labor rates....

Thanks for any suggestions.

L/D

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just grind a new point on mine.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can'd do them justice by hand any tool and cutter grinder can do them for you.

I suspect that Starrett will just give you another set of punches, their rework cost would be more than a new set costs.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Slip them in a piece of plastic tubing and chuck them up in a drill. Then spin the punch against a turning sanding disc or grinding wheel. Not as accurate as a lathe but it works pretty good. Remember to NOT get them hot.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what shipping and labor would cost you would be better off looking on ebay for one.

If you really want the one you have sharpened send me an email.

Fleapay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag...&hash=item46087d2bab

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I talked to a metallurgist at Starrett. He said, just as Westpac predicted, that they would charge nearly as much to regrind them as it would to sell me a whole new set. Being poor, I do not agree with that course. The front taper sections are either AISI 4063 (older) or S-2 tool steel (newer) through hardened. He recommended grinding them with VERY light passes, preferably with some mist coolant. He said, "Do not let the tips get hot, and there will be no need to re-harden them."

The rub is that I have a set of eight, plus two spares that need to be done.

I will check the wheels on my grinder (still in the package after seven moves). Lois can spray coolant as I spin them against the grinding disk; gently.

Thank you all again. You advice has been most helpful.

John "Lawndart"

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
This is a fairly simple job using a 4 jaw and a carbide cutter. Send them here John, I need the practice.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The BEST center punch is the ones that I make. They use the tungstun core from 30-06 AP ammo. Big Grin tu2 Big Grin They make the starret punches look like something from Harbor Freight.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
The BEST center punch is the ones that I make. They use the tungstun core from 30-06 AP ammo. Big Grin tu2 Big Grin They make the starret punches look like something from Harbor Freight.

-so YOU'RE the guy who suggested I use the cores from depleted uranium 20MM rounds a few years back!!!

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

-so YOU'RE the guy who suggested I use the cores from depleted uranium 20MM rounds a few years back!!!

That 20mm core would make a giagantic center punch. Eeker Big Grin I use the 30-06 AP cores.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote