New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farquharson Action Kits Available now
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

New Farquharson action kits just received and ready to finish fitting and barreling.

I talked to Leonard Bull a retired instructor at TSJC , Trinidad and he has gotten the 1897 Model Westly Richards copy of the Farquharson kits from the casting company. These are investment castings of 8620 steel and will be good for engraving and color hardening. I don't know how much work is involved to complete the action, but anyone wanting to know more should email: ndume@activematrix.net They will have a web site up shortly and I will let everyone know the location. These project actions will not be for a beginner. I haven't seen the castings, but he says they a very good in quality. Their is a class at TSJC coming up on completing the action with Leonard teaching. If interested contact the NRA summer school classes coordinator at Trinidad State Jr. College. The price of the kit is about $350. It you email make sure the subject is: (Farquharson Action Kits) Wait for the picture to download. Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I definitely want one. Please keep us informed. I tried email to the address you provided but it doesn't work. Can they be purchased now?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
That looks good.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

The email address bounced. Is it correct ?

Cheers Murray

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the email address. Try this ndume@activematrix.net These actions are ready to ship as a kit now. They may not come under the FFL because of the model being 1897. You will need to check on this.

Again sorry for my mistake, it's a wonder that I can still type. Ha Ha Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, thank you for posting that. I am definitely ordering one. BTW, the action will fall under FFL requirements, it is not when the original was made but when the current manufacture is done. Same with the repo Browning lowalls. The fact that it is a kit may help though and not a functioning action.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You sure made a mess for me with this post. Now I have to find a way to smooze the $ from my wife. I hope they are as nice as the pic.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pic is a finished action NOT what you get for $350.

Try ndume@activematrix.net

Anyone know what ndume means?

gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1897 Westley Richards is not a Farquharson, it is different internally. Two variants were made, side safety or tang safety, the tang safety version - now apparently being duplicated in this kit - cost more. I have an original tang safety rifle, made as a .303, now rebarreled to .30-40. Has a kicking extractor. Very fine action design, I prefer it to the "true" Farquarson.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HMMMMM!!!! Thread size? Can we hope for a 577 Nitro?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What round will they handle up to ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I'm in trouble, again .... The price wasn't bad and I need one badly...

Would be great if someone made falling block double rifle action

Who handles international orders?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any questions on the size of cartridge case size, thread size, exact model number, or international shipping will need to be answered by the people making the action available. I have seen the original rifle that was copied, but that was 12 years ago. You may not know, but Leonard Bull is from England and worked for several of the name gunmakers in London. I only report the information that I received from him. Send questions to: ndume@activematrix.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful! I love the lines of a Farquharson. Hopefully this thing will be able to be fitted to very tight tolerances with no wiggle to the breech block. No longer have to put up with the loose Ruger No 1 actions or the Dakota 10 actions which don�t look quite right to me. I hope the screws heads protruding can be flush fitted.

Now, if only all cartridges had rims.
Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Someone above said that pic is of a finished action. I don't believe so, looks more like the casting to me. Still alot of work to be done on that action. I bet the screw heads can be recessed.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Someone above said that pic is of a finished action. I don't believe so, looks more like the casting to me. Still alot of work to be done on that action. I bet the screw heads can be recessed.

I'd sure like to think that someone didn't consider that finished.
Seems like it might be a good R&D project for machining one out of barstock. Might have to pick up one for further inspection.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan, there is at least one double Hagn rifle, saw it a couple of years at the Reno gunsmith guild show. Both barrels made out of one piece of steel, quite a tour de force. Also a few years ago saw a German double rolling block, I think it was a 9.3x74R.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Believe me I have the castings and the pic I see at the top of the page is pretty close to finished. The castings have no threads or screw holes and have the same finish as the intake manifold on my '69 442. There has been a lot of work done, 40+ hours,to the castings to get them to function. I'll see If I can post a pic of what you get for your money. I think it's a reasonable price.

gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone answer what rounds they can accomadate ??
say .600 nitro ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
vigillinus

I have seen the Hagn double it is very nice... Lots of work to build it too. A fantastic rifle to say the least.

PC-

You planning to get a new name "the thunder for down under" I have tried a original in 500NE and it wasn't that bad.

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Information I received from my email inquiry.

Thank you for you inquiry regarding our Farquharson kit.

We currently have a limited number of Farquharson action kits available.
The kit consists of 11 castings and a complete set of instructions. All
pins, screws and springs as well as the swivel are made by the builder. The
main receiver has been made slightly larger to provide a greater safety
margin. However, it can be machined down to the original size.
Construction options available to the builder include firing pin
improvements, stock mounting, safety and possible Quick Take Down
construction. The QTD version requires a different receiver.

An experienced machinist/gunsmith shoould be able to complete this project
in a few short weeks. In addition, since we have no control over
construction of these actions, we must of necessity make the following
notification:
This kit is offered for INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

Introductory pricing for the kit is $368.00 which includes shipping and
handling.

We originally had these kits cast overseas. After receiving the first
order, we found a couple of small errors in the castings. These errors are
easily corrected via TIG welding.

Due to unreasonable delays caused by the US govt, we had the molds shipped
to us. The aforementioned errors mentioned have been corrected and all
future kits will be cast here in the US. The molds are now in the hands of
our US supllier and we are awaiting word as to when we will have more kits
available.

The delays also created problems insofar as the instructions haven't been
completed. Enough are done (about 15 pages of instructions, drawings and
photos) that one should have no problem getting well along towards building
an action.

In the event you desire to purchase a kit, please make out a check or money
order to Action Castings, LLC and mail to:

Action Castings, LLC 407 Goddard, Trinidad, CO 81082

We also suggest you request having the latest instructions sent via email at
the time you place your order. We have found this to be the most expedient
method until the printed version is complete.

Sincerely Yours,

Gordon Robertson
Action Castings, LLC

You might even wish to add a few extra notes:

The action kits are currently cast from 8620 steel alloy. This alloy is
great for color case hardening. I'm sending along a couple of photos of the
one I built from scratch using 8620 solid bar stock. Now that we have a US
supplier, we plan on making the kits available (on special order) in both
stainless steel and 4130 steel.

Also, the Quick Take Down version won't be available until we get some
samples from our supplier as this feature require the supplier to make a
special small mold in order to add material to the front of the castings.

The action is suitable only for flanged cartridges having a maximum flange
OD of less than 3/4".

Gordon

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my action castings yesterday. A tremendous amount of work will be required to bring these to a finished state. The 8620 frame is the best and most complete part of the kit. Oh well, we shall see.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Cat, If possible, I'd appreciate a picture of the castings received and your opinion of them. It looks like a great project, but it seems like it wouldn't be too much harder to make it from raw stock.

How are the instructions? I'd prefer detailed blueprints. A good set of dimensioned plans would be worth more to me than the castings. Thanks - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Les,
Before getting myself into another neverending project, would you be able to copy the instructions etc and send them to me? Before I go out and get one or more it would be a great help to know what I`m getting myself into. I would gladly pay for the expenses.

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I don't have the action or the prints. All I was trying to do was let the people know that they are ready to ship the actions. From what I know this is not a good project for someone to try unless you have the time or equipment to perform the operations necessary to fit up the rough castings. There is a web site up now for the company. I would suggest that you try to contact them at www.actioncastings.us

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
fair enough. I should have waited.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've sent them a couple of e-mails with questions. I will wait on the replies before I comment any further on the Kit.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my kit about 10 days ago.

The castings are nicely done, but there is a LOT of work needed to finish the action.

I would estimate (realistically) that it would take 60 to 80 hours of shop time to finish the kit.

I think this one will be sitting on my shelf for awhile before anything is done.

If you were going to pay some one to finish it for you...hmm, maybe $1500 to $2000.

(I think I paid close to $1500 10 years ago for my Dakota Model 10 action)

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to se pictures of the unfinished action in white.
/Johan

Posts: 87 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out the pictures on the web site lesbrooks posted above.
gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would like to see this post stay alive and the people who have bought these casting continue to give updates on the progress and ideas they have had .

posted Hide Post
Hey.
I E-mailed Action Castings with some questions regarding the kit.
My main question was if it would hold the 577 NE and the reply was < !--color-->

Posts: 11 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My last posting did not come out right.

I E-mailed Action Castings with some questions regarding the kit.
My main question was if it would hold the 577 NE and the reply was that " We do not recommend the 577 nitro. The maximum size we recommend is 45 caliber x 3-1/4" straight wall case."

My question is, have anyone finished this kit and are Action Castings just being careful or is the action to small for the 577.

Posts: 11 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote