Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted - SMLE firing pin tool.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Wanted - SMLE firing pin tool. Do you have one in your tool box gathering rust that you want to part with? I know I can get a new one from Brownell's, I am hoping to save a few dollars.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Do you want an actual tool or one like the one I made from an old Craftsman nut driver? Cost about $2.00 from a flea market tool bin.

Start with a 7mm Craftsman nut driver.

Grind the socket end down until in slips into the SMLE bolt body.

Cut the necessary tabs on the open end.

All done.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Wow, Dave.

That is perfect and I believe I already have a set of cheapy nut drivers that I can pirate one our of.

Thanks, that sure beats the $30 to get one from Brownell's!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The only critical area is the hollow shaft in the tool. Large enough for the firing pin to enter fully. Of course, in some of the later Canadian models they used a 2 piece firing pin, striker rod arrangement so I guess you wouldn't need the hollow shaft for that.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
We have bazillions of Lee Enfields here in Canada and because of that I have made about a dozen of those tools over the last 35 years on the mill and lathe, out of drill rod and silver solder. And if my estimation of one dozen is correct I can say that I have destroyed EGGFAWKINGZACKEY 11 of them to the point where they got so short from re-cutting the ears that I could no longer reclaim them.

Just so you know. Most guys make them from a 6 inch or so bit of 3/8ths steel tubing or steel brake line and they simple cut the ears out with a common file. That's why Brownells has to get $30 a piece for them. They only sell 10 a year because everyone makes their own so the price has to justify stocking them. I have seen everything from old screw driver handles, soldered on T handles to vise grips used as handles on these home fabricated jobs.

SMLE Firing pin tool by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I know your pain. I end up making a lot of my tooling because either the commercial stuff is expensive, of poor quality, or simply non-existent. I have half a dozen different tools I have made from that cheap set of well used Craftsman nut drivers.

Dave