Find
Notify
Tools

Heirloom/gift rifle ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of scw
posted
When my oldest son turned one I purchased a semi-custom Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55, he is now nearly 9 and knows the rifle is his, but has still not shot it. My daughter (7 next month) and my younger son (5 yrs old) have been asking what rifles are theirs. To tell the truth I hadn't really considered what "their" rifles are or would be, but now I am.

I want to stick with the 6.5x55 for my younger son as it's my favorite cartridge and I'd like the three of us to shoot the same caliber, so I think he'll be getting a CZ full-stocked Swede with a nice peep sight setup. This is not set in stone, but an option at this point.

Then I still need to get something for my daughter(s). The youngest daughter is 3, I could start shopping for her as well, but I'm not sure what to get them. My wife shoots a lot of trap and suggested a shotgun for the girls, or a lever-action (my wife lover her .357 Lever action), but the lever-guns don't really 'speak' to me.

A shotgun is a nice idea, but not knowing how the girls will end up liking recoil makes me hesitant to do much more than a 20ga gas gun. Seems a little cookie-cutter to have all three shoot a Beretta 391, and I don't want 3 of the same gun sitting around till they are old enough to shoot anyway. These guns are 'mine' till they are old enough, and they get the gun knowing what dad has shot with them. I'm considering a full-stocked CZ .22lr for the oldest girl, I would simply consider the one here to be hers as she has shot it and likes it a lot. Everyone love a good .22, and that one could get her through a lifetime of shooting.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the life history of the family/guns.

Shane

-------------------------
I saw a girl with a shirt that said Guess, so I said Thyroid problem?

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you're considering rimfires, how 'bout a BSA Martini?

No need for this gift to be carved in stone, but a Model 12 or 12/15 would make a nice gift, fun to shoot, a rifle that will most likely appreciate in value, and accurate.

As the youngsters mature, it could be passed down.

Then, as shooting tastes mature, you could select rifles or shotguns based on their individual preferences.

Anyway, I imagine someone at http://www.mtguns.com might be able to come up with something you and yours would enjoy.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea...we can't take them with us. This summer I put my money where my mouth is and traded some underused guns to get a Kimber 22 and a Kimber 84M for my 16 year old son. I'll sell a few more hunting implements to acquire proper scopes for them. When he puts a longer barrel and an adult length stock on his 870 20 ga youth model (which he earned a few years back by turning a D in math into an A) he ought to be set for life.

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Here is my son shooting the CZ that I'm considering giving to my daughter (that's her in the background with the Knuckleheaded dog). Again, they know it belongs to them, but it's mine till they get old enough to take over for me.

I liked the Martini idea, but when I showed it to my wife she nixed that in short order, ugly she said. I love single shots and most things classic, maybe a high-wall of some caliber? I'd like to stay in the $400-$800 range on each rifle, and pistols are not an option at this point. Semi-custom is also an option, something a little bit personal but not outrageous.

Thank again-

Shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, I know a rimfire rifle is not that loud...but your son should still be wearing some type of hearing protection. If anything it teaches them the good habits early on. I do however, like your idea of gifting a gun to your youngsters.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Find an Ithica Model 49, it is a Martini action with a western flair(loop lever and hammer).

That was my first 22 and I still have it, 44 years later.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a CZ full-stocked Swede with a nice peep sight setup.

how 'bout a BSA Martini

two capital, classy recommendations, these.

also, maybe CZ 527s, carbines in .223 or 7.62x39.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would try to borrow a few guns from friends and relatives and let the kids shoot as many different types of guns as they can. Then let them tell you what they want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning makes a very nice (don't know if it's high-grade) 22 levergun. I looked at one of them about a year ago....I think for about $700. A nice quality 22 never goes out of style and doesn't have to be scoped.

Might be an idea....

Better get my boys some guns....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think I would try to borrow a few guns from friends and relatives and let the kids shoot as many different types of guns as they can. Then let them tell you what they want.

My oldest son has still not fired his Swede, and probably won't for another few years. I'm not shopping for something they can shoot now (but definitely something I can), but rather something they can grow up knowing they own it, looking forward throughout their youth to being a gun owner/user/handler.

Looks like I have a few 'hear-hear' comments about the CZ rifles. The other idea I had lately was getting some older (maybe a pre-64? What will that cost) Winchester in a classic caliber. A nice mod. 70 in .30-06 is about as classic as it comes. What price range am I looking at to get a shooting grade pre-64?

Thanks again, great ideas.

Shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
28 gauge 1100 ?

Soft as can be, and the sporting model has upgraded wood.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeti:
28 gauge 1100 ?

Soft as can be, and the sporting model has upgraded wood.

I had a nice one of these in the Skeet model and gave it to a ex- well I regret it, but your right about the selection. Amazing little guns for the petite, she was a hot hotheaded redhead.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think semi-auto 22's are great rifles for youngsters. There is of course the Ruger 10/22 but if you want a classic there is the old Browning semi-auto, if you can find one.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for the sake of confusion, pleasurable confusion, you might look at the Brown M97 single shots. Falling block and small and you can have a switch barrel... He is a big fan of the 6.5 Swede (in MN? No wonder)...

eabco.com ... The company seems to be doing well, but if it busts, then they are that much more "collectable" / "valuable" and better investment. luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
scw, For both of my boys, I bought them Browning 20 gauge Grade 5 pumps. They are the model 12 repos.Beautiful guns that will last a lifetime and won't hurt the wallet much.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody should own a 30-30 M94 Winchester. Get them each a 94 made in the year they were born.

I've done that for a few pre-64 friends, you should have less trouble finding post 2000 guns.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote