New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cylinder Reaming
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just looked up cylindersmith and saw he stopped doing cylinders a looooong time ago. Who does it now in US?
Thanks

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In reference to throats or drilling entire chambers?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throats

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any real gunsmith can do that; what are you looking for, specifically?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact any competent machinist should be able to do it if they have a "variable reamer" once you explain what you are trying to do. Your are lucky that, being in the USA, most folks will know what a revolver cylinder is! We had to have one or two done here in the UK and used a machinist not a gunsmith.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Check out "DougGuy" on Castboolits http://castboolits.gunloads.co...er.php?29606-DougGuy. He's usually pretty active in the handguns subform.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very easy to do yourself. Buy/rent the reamer and go for it.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our reaming, I recall, was to make a Colt .32 Signature series shoot accurately as the barrel was XX diameter and the cylinder somewhat tighter. So we reamed the cylinder out to XX and the owner was delighted.

The other one was an Enfield No2 MkI...mine in fact...that shot excellently with five chambers but put the sixth a flyer. We reamed it and it was all OK.

Last time it was done was on a Taurus "long barrel" revolver. Twelve inch barrel in .44 Magnum.

Good Luck! But, yes, it can be done with muzzle loading and breech loading revolvers.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 32H&R cylinder at .311 that needs to go to .312 - .3125 No luck finding one to rent or buy in this small size.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Try Googling .312 reamer and you'll get a lot of results most of which are usable for the task you are wanting to do.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have that reamer.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can locate someone with a Sunnen pin hone, they can open those throats up lickity-split, and leave a nice smooth inside finish to boot.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello 3006va:

We make Cylinder Throating Reamers that will do what you describe. Colorado Matt has the best idea, however--a hone is the right way to remove that small amount of material.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to locate something on your site but no luck, I'll try again later.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello 3006va:

www.mansonreamers.com Look at the top of page 7 in the Catalog. Call me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Dave Manson
810-953-0732

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3006va:
Just looked up cylindersmith and saw he stopped doing cylinders a looooong time ago. Who does it now in US?
Thanks

Hamilton Bowen will hone it for you and turn it around pretty quick IME. Cost was $75 or so.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote