New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screw Angle in Mauser Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If one places a Mauser stock vertically against a wall and then places a long screw of the correct circumference in the rear guard screw hole, should the screw be pointing exactly 90 degrees from the wall?

If it should, and it is not, then I can assume one of two things.

1. the hole was drilled incorrectly

2. the stock was laid out incorrectly after the hold was drilled correctly.

How does one make sure of the correct angle of that rear guard screw in relation to the rest of the stock.

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Not sure without having it in hand but proably: Mauser action fitted with Springfield bottom metal. For three bucks the old Springfield bottom metal could be had cheap and sometimes was used to make Mausers upclass.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
If one places a Mauser stock vertically against a wall and then places a long screw of the correct circumference in the rear guard screw hole, should the screw be pointing exactly 90 degrees from the wall?

-Yes, if the top of the stock was cut perpendicular to the guard screws and parallel to the bottom of the action. Both guard screws on a Mauser are perpendicular to the bottom of the receiver flat.

If it should, and it is not, then I can assume one of two things.

1. the hole was drilled incorrectly

- that is a possibility

2. the stock was laid out incorrectly after the hold was drilled correctly.
- definitely a possibility. I got a Fajen stock once that had the trigger guard mortise milled about 10 degrees off parallel.

How does one make sure of the correct angle of that rear guard screw in relation to the rest of the stock.

-You use long stockmakers guide screws in the receiver screw holes. I think you could use 1/4in x 22tpi 6 inch bolts with the heads cut off to substitute. They should emerge dead nuts center out the bottom. If not, then the top or bottom metal is not inletted properly.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

-You use long stockmakers guide screws in the receiver screw holes. I think you could use 1/4in x 22tpi 6 inch bolts with the heads cut off to substitute. They should emerge dead nuts center out the bottom. If not, then the top or bottom metal is not inletted properly.

I've never seen a 1/4 X 22 TPI bolt for sale. Not in any length! The only place I've ever seen this size thread used is for the guard screws on a Mauser.
The angle of the rear guard screw 'hole' on a 98 Mauser makes no difference as long as the screw does not touch the inside of that hole.
They are designed to pull the action straight down.