New
Find
Notify
Tools

284 on 70 CRF SA
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Anyone had one done? Just curious if the CRF and the rebated rim get along nicely... TIA

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
No doubt it can be done. They even offer it in a couple of the custom shop guns.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Yes, that sounds familair now that you mention it. Hmmm... might have to make a go of this project after all. Just pull that mag stock and I have a 3+" mag - perfect for a 284...

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Well, hundreds, if not thousands of .425 Westley Richards managed to function on Mauser 98s and the amount of difference in the case body and the rim is far greater on the .425 vs. the .284. I don't think you'll have a problem.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25-284 on a custom Mauser...incredibly accurate. Feeds pretty good.

However, for that particular cartridge, if I had it to do over, I would do it on a push-feed action. I think it just might be slightly more smooth.

You are building yourself a custom rifle to enjoy hunting/shooting with. You owe yourself the slickest rifle you can afford.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve a 6.5x284 on a M1999 CF short action that`s given no problems feeding to date, I`d say go with it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
I`ve a 6.5x284 on a M1999 CF short action that`s given no problems feeding to date, I`d say go with it.

Ol' Joe did you have to do any work to the feed ramp to get the 6.5-284 rounds to feed smoothly on the MRC 1999 action? Mine wants to bind (the bullet tips hang up on the ramp) when chambering a round.

Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one done, 284 Win on a short M70 CRF. Send a personal message to Bill Leeper, he built it for me. It turned out well, but feeding caused him a lot of grief, especially the second round off the left side of the mag.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CrfM70SA and have considered it for 284win aswell, however in all honesty,for what I would use it for, 7x57 is more than adequate,and no major feeding issues.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Woody,
I haven`t done anything to the rails, the action is "as came". I haven`t had any trouble with feeding but usually have run it slow off the bench and haven`t really pressed it too much looking for trouble. The few mags full I tried fed OK so I dropped worrying about it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
I have a CrfM70SA and have considered it for 284win aswell, however in all honesty,for what I would use it for, 7x57 is more than adequate,and no major feeding issues.

Good thought. With the 3.05" mag box, a 7x57 might fit just fine. I'll have to look into that...