New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can make a synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Cooper model 21 Varmint Extreme with a stock that is too pretty and nice for field use. I've already had one disaster with it that was not cheap or pleasant to repair. However, since the rifle is so accurate I can't bear to just "put it up." So, I'd like to have a synthetic stock made/inletted for it. I have talked to Dan Cooper, and there doesn't seem to be anyone to his knowledge that is making a stock inletted for his 21 action.

What would you guys reccomend? I'd rather not spend a fortune, I just want a basic, solid, pillar bedded synthetic stock that will allow the rifle to fuction up to its potential.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you have a particular affinity towards synthetics or would a laminate work for you? If so try boyds, richards, or fajen.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Laminate is a possiblity, but not my first choice...thanks for the options though...

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superstocks
Truman Wilson
Delta, CO 81416
970-874-3030

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I inquired about having McMillan do it as a custom order, and got a flat out "we don't inlet for Coopers."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your custom action does not fit any of their stocks, I don't see any reason why McMillan will not be able to make you a fiber glass stock. In fact, they are working on stock with an odd ball action for me right now. You will need to send in your action so they can do the fitting. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the exchange with Kelly McMillian:

I wrote:

Dear sirs,
I am inquiring as to the cost of purchasing a hunter class benchrest stock (or similar style stock)and having it inletted for my Cooper model 21 varmint extreme rifle, cal. .223.

Thank you

Roger Lipson

Kelly McMillan Wrote:

We don't inlet for Coopers. Kelly

I wrote back:

Kelly, even as a custom order, where I would send you the barreled action? I was told you do this type of work.

Thanks

Kelly replied:

Unfortunately no we won't do this. We can't be sure we even have a stock that will fit until we try inletting one. If we find out it doesn't then we have wasted a stock, so we would just as soon pass. Kelly

[ 12-30-2002, 18:43: Message edited by: rogerinneb ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For what McMillan charges, they can afford to "experiment" on one stock. Heck, use a second or blem that they're not going to sell retail anyway.

Kelly McMillan has had a reputation for acting like this anyway. Good stocks, but lousy attitude.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnHntr,

Talked with Truman today at Superstocks. What a good guy. He will do with a McMillan stock what McMillan themselves will not do. Price is not cheap, but hey, if I had wanted cheap solutions I would have a Rem 700 I suppose.

Thanks for the tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I figured if anyone can do it, Truman could. He's got alot of experience under his belt. Perhaps someone can clone him! [Big Grin] MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote