THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Wundhammer (missing front sight and front Ross sling swivel)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wundhammer (missing front sight and front Ross sling swivel)
 Login/Join

posted
Let me start off by saying I'm new to accuratereloading and what an excellent sight it is.
I'm hopping someone can shed some light on a project of mine. I'm currently bringing an old Wundhammer back to life. I bought it roughly 10 years ago at a pawn shop in Southern California, I thought it was a neat old 1903 SPORTER with a quality walnut stock. Sense it didn't have a front sight I was just going to put on a period correct side mount like a Noske, then use it for the upcoming Elk Season. At that time I was refered from one of the gun blogs (can't remember which one) that I should contact Mike Petrov before doing so. I didn't know who Mr Petrov was at the time but I took the bloggers advice. I'm glad I did for two reasons, 1) after talking with Mr Petrov I developed an ongoing friendship with a fine gentleman. Mr Petrov s wealth of knowledge inhanced an even stronger passion then I already had for pre war sporting rifles. 2) After numerous conversations and emailed photos Mr.Petrov informed me that what I was about to destroy by drilling the side of the receiver was a Wundhammer rifle. The rifle was missing the front sight and front Ross sling swivel, as well as the long tailed Lyman peep sight. I found the correct peep sight years ago but have sense not continued the project.
To make a long story shorter, I plan on moose hunting in Alaska this September and I would love to harvest a fine animal with this beautiful piece of America history.

Needed help for my project.
1)I would love to get my hands on some close-up pics of the classic 1903 front sight used by Wundhammer to see if he has made any alterations to it or just kept it stock.
2) the front sling swivel is missing, Mr Petrov said it should be a Ross swievel, to match the rear one which is still intact. The strange thing about this rifle is that the front swivel is not attached to the barrel with a band like all the other rifles Mr Petrov had seen. It was not a post construction modification because there is no evidence that the stock was inletted for the front sight band.

If any of you could help me with this project or know someone who can, please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Jon

Question:
Looking for help with Wundhammer restoration. Front sight and sling swivel

Choices:
Wundhammer front sight
Wundhammer front sling swivel

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you PM me your email address I can send close up photos of my Wundhammer sight and swivel. Do you have both of Michael's books ?

Your idea of taking the rifle on an Alaskan moose hunt sound like a good idea as you will learn a lot about why his rifles were so beloved by their owners.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes I do have both books

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I also have a feature on Springfield sporters in the 2017 Gun Digest with a number of photos of the Wundhammer, Minar and a few others by myself and Petrov.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote