New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cone breech, C-ring, and H-ring?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please help me understand these. Do C-ring and H-ring refer to cuts in the inner collar ring?

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. They refer to two different types of construction for a 98 pattern Mauser. The original version had only a single "cut", hence "C" ring. Later versions added a second cut to make machining easier (read: cheaper).

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo Jack Belk posted showing the H ring and then the C ring. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829367/C_Ringcut.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Glen,

And what's the cone breech thats required when there's not an inner collar ring? Does this mean there's a sort of feed ramp up to the chamber within the breech of the barrel instead of just the chamber opening beyond the inner collar ring?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1-

In a way, yes. A Model 70 Winchester has a coned breach thus, if you were to look at a breach you would see that the chamber begins at the end of a coned depression. It accomplishes the same thing as the C and/or H ring, it just does it within the barrel as opposed to the action. Again, as was noted above, this probably allowed for easier/cheaper machining of the action.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark,

I see the same thing in my CZ...but that's a Mauser, right?

I thought Mausers didn't have a cone breech?

Steve

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
A original mauser will have a "C" ring and more modern mauser designs such as FN during late 1950's changed to "H" ring only because easier to manufacture. Winchester,Dakota,CZ and others have "Cone" breech.

SMLE

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so you all know where it came from, that's a photo from Jack Belk.

I miss his knowlege.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ is not a mauser. It is a Koucky design from the early 1960's. It does, however, incorporate some mauser features. Most notably a true self-locking claw extractor.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah hah!

Thanks. I looked into my Husqvarna, and there's no cone. I think I've got it now.

I love this site.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
The C ring is the most desirable, but I am not sure it that much greater than the H ring, but given my druthers I will take a C ring mauser over any other...The cone is alright too but it does give a ruptured case a place to send gas back into the bolt and out the back or down into the magazine or both...

Bottom line is carefull loading can prevent most accidents and all three methods are acceptable IMO....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote