Find
Notify
Tools

Bore polishing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I will be receiving my rebarreled rifle back this week from Shaw. I have heard that their barrels are rough. I have also been told to polish the bore with Lapping compound which I have. My question is is this a good idea or should I just follow the break-in procedure first. 1 shot then clean for the first 10-20 shots. Any input is welcome. Thanks Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
By all means shoot it first. Clean to the bone after every shot. If you get tired then lap it.

What kind of lapping compound do you have? The regular Clover silicon carbide stuff will embed in your barrel and you'll never get it out.

Don

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have the Brownells 600 grit Garnet lapping compound. I shouldn't have a problem with it embedding. Just trying to polish things up a bit so I don't have to clean so often.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob: put the polishing agent in the bore- and fire over it slowly- with a bullet at least the diameter of the bore. I use hard lead slugs and polish mostly for cast bullet shooting.
Others use a tight cloth scag wrapped on a worn out brush- and go the full length of the bore with each pass with a polish like yours or J&B.
But being a new custom barrel- I think I'd see what they recommend.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote