THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light primer strikes -Update see todays post.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Have a Kimber 84M in 308 that has failed to fire twice in the last 50 rounds or so. Examining the primers, the strikes look light. I have cleaned and lubed the bolt assembly and it is 70 degrees here so cold is not the factor. The primers are CCI 200's LRP and I am not experiencing any problems in the rest of my rifles with them.
When the rifle is dry fired, the firing pin does not click with authority, it sounds more like a dink.
I suspect a weak firing pin spring. If so, where is the best place to get one and can I change it out myself?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with this problem....

You might check the firing pin protrusion just to be sure....

CCI primers are some of the harder-cupped ones, so you could give Federal a try. Make sure you don't seat the primer down too hard, as flattening them in there can shorten it just a bit and make it harder for the firing pin to reach.

You didn't say if it had issues with factory loads as well--my friend's did not. If it doesn't happen with factory loads chances are Kimber won't care (his returns to the factory and complaints went nowhere.....)

I suspect their rifles are a bit less user friendly than most. In addition, replacement springs are a factory only part and heavier ones are not stocked......

Best of luck,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan. I checked the FP protrusion and it was fine. Haven't shot a factory load in years but haven't had this problem with my other rifles or this one before with this same batch of primers.
Scoured the net and couldn't find any so I called the factory and have a replacement on the way for less than $15.
Have never had this happen on any other rifle but I think this was the problem. We will see.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a new win mod 70 after a couple hundred rounds was doing the same replaced the firing pin with a heavier one all's well ...

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Do you experience the same thing with factory-loaded rounds? If you do not, do you use a case gauge to check your home-loaded rounds? I've had several customers over the years that were inducing an excess-headspace issue by pushing back the case shoulder when sizing the cases, putting the primer out of reach of the firing causing ignition issues.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know someone who had the same problem .They fixed it but never told him the cause.One misfire occurred when he was hunting a bear [the second round.]
One thing you might look for is burrs . I had a M51 Beretta and there was a burr on firing pin and firing pin hole .About every 100 rds the two burrs met and 'click' !

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Do you experience the same thing with factory-loaded rounds? If you do not, do you use a case gauge to check your home-loaded rounds? I've had several customers over the years that were inducing an excess-headspace issue by pushing back the case shoulder when sizing the cases, putting the primer out of reach of the firing causing ignition issues.

Cases are necksized and the bolt closes with just a little resistance so I don't think it's a headspace problem. I haven't fired a factory round in many years except when required for pistol self defense quals.
I'll try sizing a little longer and see if the bolt will still close.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you store a rifle vertically sometimes oil will run
in front of the firing pin and soften the strike.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What can I say except that it is not the experienced that buy Kimbers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you might try is to remove the firing pi and spring assemble and use some steel wool around a bronze brush to polish the inside of your bolt sleeve.Also degrease and brush clean your spring then use light oil.
If you can buy a heavier spring then that will solve the issue.If you cant look for a lighter firing pin or a lighter bolt shroud.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
What can I say except that it is not the experienced that buy Kimbers.

This is very helpful Roll Eyes . The rifle has worked fine for 10 years. As to your other post, the first thing I did was degrease and relube the firing pin and bolt assembly.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Change the spring.I never had a factory rifle that this did not happen to-except my Sako and my Winchesters(although I have not used my Winchesters enough).It certainly would not happen to my Sako 75 deluxe.My Sako has the best spring mechanism I ever seen.
At least with some factory rifles you could easily buy a heavier spring.You cant do that with a CZ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem 700 that did that. The culprit was a slightly oversized mainspring which kinked when compressed. This caused it to drag on the inside of the bolt body.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Toomanytools was right. After I went back and looked at the misfires, it turned out that they occurred on new brass. Evidently these were made slightly undersized and caused shells to move forward enough to cause misfires. The primer strikes on the once fired and necksized shells were fine although still fairly light. Since I already have a replacement spring on the way I will install that and see what that does. For the record, I have never had a problem with new brass before.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good ! That's the way , throw out all the assumptions and start from square 1 !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Toomanytools was right. After I went back and looked at the misfires, it turned out that they occurred on new brass. Evidently these were made slightly undersized and caused shells to move forward enough to cause misfires. The primer strikes on the once fired and necksized shells were fine although still fairly light. Since I already have a replacement spring on the way I will install that and see what that does. For the record, I have never had a problem with new brass before.

You dont have a problem with the brass you have a problem with your striker spring.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Good man (Blacktailer, not you, George.)

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf makes a 40 # replacement spring, factory 37# is claimed. I have had the same thing happen with my two Kimbers, just have to be carefull with sizing for mine. Love the rifles though, accurate as hell.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have had the same problem with Kimbers. I lengthened the firing to the max of the spec. and it didn't help. The stronger spring may work. I couldn't trust them any more so I now own other brands that have never had this problem. It just made me to uncomfortable to hunt with them, especially the .375 H&H.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common problem with earlier Kimbers both 84 and 8400. I replace the firing pin springs with stronger Wolfe ones I believe for the Sako finbear. Not in the shop at the moment but blieve that is the Model you will require.

Mitch C Kendall

Posts: 27 | Location: Kamloops, British Columbia | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote