Find
Notify
Tools

Mercury recoil reduction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I´m wondering about those mercury "tubes" that can be put in a stock to deminish recoil -do they work? how do they effect balance? which brand/make would you recommend?

I´m turning a bit recoil shy with age and even if I can handle my .416 Rigby a little less recoil probably wouldn´t hurt my shooting. Roll Eyes

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
They work, and for $50 that's pretty hard to beat.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's true that they work, but I see little difference in their effect and that of putting a similar weight of lead in your stock. Some people claim that the liquid mercury spreads the recoil out over a longer period and thus gives a "softer" feel than just adding weight alone, but I've never seen any data to verify this claim.

Whether you add a half-pound of mercury or a half-pound of lead, your balance will be affected. If I want my gun a half-pound heavier, I'd prefer to put it in the barrel, where you not only get the advantage of the greater weight in recoil reduction, you also place the weight higher than the center-of-gravity of the gun and thus reduce muzzle rise, too.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Logically I can see how mercury could slow down the reaction but it would be hard to quantify the effect scientifically.

I´ll give it some thought, I do prefer weight up front...on women AND rifles!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Logically I can see how mercury could slow down the reaction but it would be hard to quantify the effect scientifically.

I´ll give it some thought, I do prefer weight up front...on women AND rifles!

Just like women, too much up front without sufficient counter balance makes for less than optimal esthetics.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tt: thumb

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I have used mercury recoil reducers in pump shotguns, rifles and and now a muzzleloader. I believe that a combination of mercury recoil tube and a limb saver pad is at least, in my perception, a 40 % reduction in recoil.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommned a brand or make? I´m thinking of putting a reducer in the butt and some lead in the front...

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone recommned a brand or make? I´m thinking of putting a reducer in the butt and some lead in the front...

Try Brownells http://www.brownells.com. They have several to choose from. I have used C&H Research, but they may not be better or worse than others. They have worked for me.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
reducer in the butt and some lead in the front...

Lead in front? Mercury in the butt?
Cewe, my friend, bite the bullet and buy a rectal thermometer!

Sorry,couldn´t resist..
Big Grin
Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a Hiram's Bear Trap lefthanded one (Yes, they come that way and No, they are no longer available) put into the buttstock of my big gun and a Breako merc tube put in the fore-end. Weight is not a factor with this gun. I am hoping it takes most of the kick out of a 300WSM.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these guys.

I've got a 16 oz one in my .458 and it seems to help.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In well over half a century of reading the gun press, I have never seen a test where the mercury recoil absorbers were compared with simple lead cylinders of equal weight in the same locations. I have always suspected that there would be little or no difference.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect all they do is add weight..I dispise them, they through your gun totally out of balance and if you add weight up front then they make the gun heavier and that probably reduces the recoil..All in all I don't want any part of them...Id rather use a muzzle brake, they really work, but I use neither...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote