New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubba Strikes Again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a number matching Artie Mauser that was evidently “sporterized” by Bubba. Forged bolt handle, chopped stock, rechambered military barrel to .30-06 and drilled and tapped. The price was right so I took it home only to realize the rear screw hole for the front mount was drilled into the ring behind the locking lug. I was planning to rework this to 7x57, but I am scratching my head on the scope mount holes. My question - I know the scope mount holes are not in the proper location, do I live with where they are (any safety concerns?) or do I have the holes tigged, drill the holes in their proper location and have the action rehardened? If the latter, who is the proper expert to fill the holes? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 25 | Location: S.E. PA | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is an Artie mauser?

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume an Argentine and since it is now a 30-06, I figure it’s a 1909.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 968 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang autocorrect. Yes it’s an 1909 Argentine (Argie)

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As long as the hole is completely in the lug and not drilled into the face of it, it will be fine. NOW, that is assuming it is hard enough to start with, and as you know many pre WW1 Mausers are soft.
Especially those converted to 30-06, (and Bubba in this case were the importers, Interarms and the like), they can set back the lug recesses.
So if it is ok now, it will be ok for a 7mm.
Or, of course if you want to, it can be welded up and then re heat treated by Blanchard. All of which will cost more than just buying a new action. Keep your bottom metal.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. I will need to measure to confirm, but I think the rear hole is pretty much centered in the lug. I will also need to get a base on it and see if the top of the base is parallel with the bottom of the action. Given where the holes were drilled I wouldn’t be surprised if the base is canted.

The shop where I bought it checked the headspace and said the bolt closed on the go gauge but not on the field gauge. I am hoping this suggests no lug set back. Guess I will know when I pull the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You think thats bad; a few years ago an acquaintance of my son brought by a Parker S/S 12 that the bbls had started to separate so he clamped them + arc welded them shut. He couldn't understand why I was so pissed since it wasn't even my shotgun.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote