New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh...Oh, now what
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The simple task gone wrong. Started off with me losing my reading glasses...But this was simple I just needed to drift out the pin holding the sight ladder so I could install a S&K mount for a scope on my Yugo. 24/47.

I ended up turning the whole barrel in the action to the point where the bolt won't open. I don't want to just bring it to a gunsmith, so can anybody tell me the process of readjusting the headspace beyound getting a headspace gauge, which I think I can purchase from Midway.

The pin by the way is still not out of the sight, but I think I can get a hold of it with a pair of vice grips. I don't think I should put heat to the sight as it is probably soldered to the barrel right?

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can pull the barreled action out of the stock and check the underside for reference marks,one on the barrel where it screws into the action and one on the action where the barrel enters it. Align them up but still I believe you may want to check the headspace. Also seems the barrel turned to easy.

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
!0-4 that, I'll check for those marks, the barrel sure turned easier than I would have ever envisioned, but I had no problems firing the gun before my...improvements. If I can find those marks, shouldn't one of those go-no go gauges then do the trick?

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoots, no reference marks....of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly,it's just as well as I was a little concerned about the looseness of the barrel. Time for a gunsmith. Shouldn't really cost all that much to get it up and going. Good luck.

til later

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
I ended up turning the whole barrel in the action to the point where the bolt won't open. I don't want to just bring it to a gunsmith, so can anybody tell me the process of readjusting the headspace beyound getting a headspace gauge, which I think I can purchase from Midway.

Maybe you shoud put down the vise grips and pin punch, bite the bullet and take the gun to a gunsmith so he can correct the loose barrel problem. Seems too me like that should be your first priority!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like sound advice to me, thanks.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Time for a little plumber's tape. You'll be back to hunting nutria in no time. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Forrest I usually don't use a 8mm on small stuff like nutrias...generally I use my .45/70.
Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mesquite, Hickory, or Pecan smoked?? hillbilly

Wonder how Nutria Tasso would be?? Big Grin

"Rat-Tasso"

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should move over to the cooking section. Smiler The only way I have tried nutria is pot roasted, and a young nutria ain't bad at all, just as good as rabbit. That said I prefer muskrat to most.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Hey!... are you guys saying you eat your stuff? I have been 'eradicating' hares and possum at the farmers request and just ditching the things - what a waste! Confused Well, in the middle of the night after dragging 20 of the things off the land, who has the energy! Oops... a bit off topic. Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote