Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka Whitetail Hunter vrs. CZ 550 American
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted
I am getting the Jones for another hunting rifle and have tentatively narrowed the choices down to a Tikka Whitetail Hunter Synthetic vrs. CZ 550 American. The prices that I have found are roughly equivelant with the CZ slightly cheaper. My main criteria for evaluation is 1) Accuracy, and 2) Good Trigger.

I like the CZ for the Mauser based action and controled round feed. I have heard some good comments about CZ accuracy but don't know much about it.

The Tikka on the other hand owned by Sako and in turn by Beretta. It has a guarranteed 1MOA accuracy. It is a push feed but for me that is not a major drawback. The Tikka has a detachable magazine in the long action rifles which is an interesting feature.

Both rifles have only a two position safety which I think is a drawback. Both have free floated barrels. Both have setups for their own proprietary scope mounts which I am not sure is a benefit or a drawback.

I am looking a tack driver with a good crisp light trigger. I have not found any info as to whether either of these rifles has an adjustable trigger. So what are your opinions? Which is the better rifle. Are there some other bolt actions in this price range that are as good or better?

Mort Canard

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I shot a Tikka WTH in .30-06 once. Talk about a tac driver, it fits the bill. One of the smothest actions I've ever used. The plastic trigger guard was a big turn off though. Never played with a CZ, I'm sure others will comment.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I have several CZ's and they are my favorite rifles. All Walnut and steel. No plastic. Plus the Americans come with free scope mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ's are supurb rifles I have three and hope to have two more by the years end.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I have found the TIKKA'S to be more accurate. The CZ is all metal yes but the TIKKA'S accuracy made the choice easy for me.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
2 for the CZ and 2 for the Tikka? [Confused] Now what am to make of this? Too bad that I have never found a place that would let you run a few rounds through even a used rifle. Thanks to all who replied.

Mort

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mort,

check out J.Belks review of CZ rifles over at Hunt America. They shoot great.

There also not stinking push feeds [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mort

You have picked the 2 best rifles in their price range by far & either will serv you extremly well but I believe the Tikka has the edge in the accuracy stakes.

Good luck

Tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote