New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 Bolt Repair help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger M77, that the hole in the bolt, for the firing pin, is elongated. The pin hits the primer light, and off to the side. Giving me a fail to fire just about every time. Who can rebuild this bolt for me?
Thanks, Dave

Posts: 38 | Location: Western Michigan | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitman:
I have a Ruger M77, that the hole in the bolt, for the firing pin, is elongated. The pin hits the primer light, and off to the side. Giving me a fail to fire just about every time. Who can rebuild this bolt for me?
Thanks, Dave

My guess is it wasn't designed to do that so the first thing I would recommend is contact Ruger to see if they'll fix it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Ruger.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do that, but I didn't think Ruger worked on the older tang safety models.

Posts: 38 | Location: Western Michigan | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If they won't, then there are a few on this board who can bush it for you. No way of knowing the cost without someone seeing what they're up against.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is factory unmodified Ruger I would be amazed if they refused to service it. Ruger still serviced their pre-86 AC-556 full auto machine guns in civilian hands as of two years ago even down to replacing the receiver under the same serial number if the receiver stretched from shooting too much. Call Ruger first.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger this morning. They no longer service the older tang safety M77 rifles. They have very few parts left for repair work.
So, I'm open to advice or help on this problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent PM

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is really dissappointing to hear, one of the draws Ruger had for me is they always seemed to offer great factory service on all their firearms. Learn something new every day, unfortunatly it isn't always good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
This is really dissappointing to hear, one of the draws Ruger had for me is they always seemed to offer great factory service on all their firearms. Learn something new every day, unfortunatly it isn't always good.

In all fairness, Ruger did say if I sent them the rifle, they would replace it with a new one.
However, they no longer chamber anything in 220 Swift.

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called Ruger this morning. They no longer service the older tang safety M77 rifles. They have very few parts left for repair work.

quote:
In all fairness, Ruger did say if I sent them the rifle, they would replace it with a new one.

Those two statements are a far cry apart! They didn't offer to fix the bolt in the caliber you have, They offered to replace the whole rifle! I'd say they still have good customer service, and i'm not even a Ruger fan.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icemanls2:
quote:

quote:

Those two statements are a far cry apart! They didn't offer to fix the bolt in the caliber you have, They offered to replace the whole rifle! I'd say they still have good customer service, and i'm not even a Ruger fan.

I didn't say they had poor customer service.
I like my flat bolt, 220 Swift. A new rifle will do me no good, especially if not in the same caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yup, Ruger is still offering great service. Nice to know!

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I didn't say they had poor customer service.
I like my flat bolt, 220 Swift. A new rifle will do me no good, especially if not in the same caliber.

It may have looked like i was adressing you, but that was actually for vipers sake. I wasn't bashing anyone.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote