THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmakers, just another stupid question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just beginning to start making stocks for others, but not charging at the moment until I am a bit more proficient.
Do I need an FFL to hold a customer's barreled action while building a stock?- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheister,

I have a couple of barreled actions that need stocks. What is your address, I'll get them right out.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
All, I've been to Sheister's place and seen some of his work. It is very nice.

Sheister, Sorry I don't know the answer, but I'd venture to bet you'll need the license.

Drop me a line some time.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Any time you, the gunmaker, hold a customers firearm for any period longer than 24 hours you need an FFL and have to log the firearm into your ATF logbook.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe an FFL is required when you are in the act of doing business as a gunsmith. I do not believe if you are doing it as a favor that it is required. I will do a search but I believe the key is doing business.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just to help you out, I'd be glad to send you my MRC short action and a laminate blank to practice on. It's just my way of being a good guy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the generous offers for additional "practice guns" for my stockmaking portfolio, but keep in mind I always test fire these weapons to make sure the stock is sound. And, oh yeah, the test firing usually comes on a hunt of some sort, depending on what is in season for the next couple years? So don't expect your rifle back for oh......, about 2 years or so? LOLOL (grin)

Chic,
That seems to be what I heard also but I'm not sure and sure don't want to do something stupid and get myself in trouble when I'm just starting out. Thanks for the help- Bob

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who is a stockmaker, and, as a FFL holder, I take delivery of "out of town guns" for him. This is to facilitate shipping and delivery because of UPS and USPS. Legally, a person can ship to him for repair,(i.e.new stock), but try explaining this to either of the above. And the "over twenty four hour" rule probably applies, but is often ignored. I called the BATF several years ago and talked to four different people about this.Got four different answers, as usual.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote