Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darkening New Oil Finish
 Login/Join

posted
I recently bought a new Kimber rifle with an oil finish. I would like to darken the stock and bring out the lines in the wood. Can I just apply oil to the stock? What kind?Do I need to sand? Or should I just learn to love the stock as is? Keep in mind I have no experience with stock finishes ( other than scratching them)
Chip

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several methods of darkening an oil finish . Simply buy an oil soluble stain or dye add a

preferred amount and allow to set or penetrate wipe excess off . A small amount is advisable as one can

always add additional coats to much and it may defeat your purpose . A light abrasion induces coloring of

the stock better . Perhaps say 400 grit wet and dry paper coupled with oil and stain .

Any wood working refinishing supply out let should have just what you need . Some even use colored

(Coffee colored )floor wax over an existing finish , which eventually darkens the substrate .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would carefully strip it, stain it with chestnut ridge or outer's stain, and refinish.

if you have checkering that could be a PITA.

keep all water off the stock so you don't have to resand.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. If I just add oil to the current finish will it bring out the figuring in the wood? Chip

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe. the easiest way to find out is to apply some mineral spirits to the stock. it imitates what effect the oil will have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i pretty sure you would have to strip the stock ,i would find out from kimber what the final coat was on the stock ,it could have been a poly i have cleaned up a lot of my british bolt rifles with different stains and a mixture of oil and alkynet root with gives a reddish look but it takes time, behlens makes what i belive is the best stain in two types oil or water base , the water base actually will be a deeper stain and is not as easy to work with ,believe it or not!!they make a red mahogany which i have used ,also the oil gives you room to work, meaning it does not penetrate as fast
i would stain then use a french polish using a good spar varnish and a japan drier
i have also used shellac in flake form with a red hue mixed with denatured alchohol for a final finish but beware it could be some trial and error
the work ive done on my english guns came out nice but even if it didnt most have been to africsa and dont look perfect anyway , im sure your new kimber looks like new ,it is something to consider....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Your stock will not get tons darker with oil...however the above recomends you strip...I have worked on several Kimbers lately and would have to ask..Strip what? Oil finish on Kimber rifles are just that.... (sanded oil)top coat probably wax but you can darken your oil with bone black...just remember do not wipe off the oil to fast let it get nearly dry then wipe off about 90% with a paper towel then rub in the last 10% with your hands. If you still have oil/wood left over let it dry longer next time. I typicly will sand in oil for days before a stock is done takeing oil.

Kimber Rifles Made in the USA.....Walnut stock however is imported from Costa Rica.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ; On a true Oil finished stock simply wipe back with a solvent lacquer thinner or acetone

mineral spirits will work how ever leaves an oil residue . Wipe stock several times to extract the

impregnated oil from the stock plenty of paper towels works well . Dispose of properly so as not to

ignite your work shop .

Then apply a stain dye type soluble in Lacquer or alcohol or if one wishes a pigmented stain .

After drying check color in a small area after reapplying oil in that area .

If it's not enough color, darken by either reapplying additional stain or fine sanding stain into

the stock . Refinish stock with Tru Oil or what ever concoction you wish to choose .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote