New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to properly fit a stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to add a better recoil pad to my 416 rem mag. I might as well make it fit properly. I've heard the thing about "trigger finger to elbow crook". And also cold weather clothing. Does any body have any more pointers?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

This is always fun to watch--

We had a long thread on stock length not long ago-dont remember if it is on big bores or some other forum here.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I did the old trigger to elbow for years. Then added more distance and like it a lot more.
Best way is if you have one you like match it. Or mount a block and then it down until you get a trigger pull you like. The cut the stock off to allow for the pad.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^Crap. I didn't mean to start something. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. But my search skills are not really awesome.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
fitting, and actually shooting it is best, during the process. It is very easy. Remove all the wood that doesn't feel good. I make mine so the butt just touches my bicep when I am grasping the grip

Open vs closed grip will really change the feel even with the same LOP

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
All the "trigger finger to crook of arm" tells you is how long your forearm and hand are.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget the width of your shoulders, and most important the length of your neck.

J Wisner

Posts: 1450 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Length of your arms, width and thickness of your shoulders, thickness of chest, thickness of face, length of your neck (women tend to have pretty long necks and usually benefit from a monte carlo), open or close grip. All theses factors are part of the equation to determine length of pull and heighth of comb.

There is a good way to see the results. Have the customer to mount the gun while you observe from the side. If length of pull is correct there will be approximately one inch between the knuckle of the thumb and the tip of the nose. If length of pull is too short the gun will kick like a mule. If slightly long it will slow your mount.

Craftsman

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

Yes!

I think you have a ton of knowledge fitting stocks and if you ever had the time it would be great for a short write up, similar to the one you did for converting the Enfield to 416 Rigby. Perhaps you have already done this and it is buried in the Guild publications?

+1

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The crook/elbow fit alone didn't work for me either. In addition to what Jim and others have said, a scope's eye relief plays a part as well at least for me.
I ended up with a 13.75" LOP which is 1 inch less than suggested using a variable scope and .75" less using a fixed 6X.

quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Do not forget the width of your shoulders, and most important the length of your neck.

J Wisner

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a book or something? A flowchart?

"If your shoulders are wider than this (), go to A, if your shoulders are narrower than this(), go to B."

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I think your best bet would be to find someone in your area who fits stocks. They will have a try gun and once you determine the correct dimensions you can take those measurements and rework you stock. It may cost you a few bucks but it will pay dividends as long as you own the firearm.
I did this in the mid eighties and have never regretted getting my rifles fit.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank:

One other element to consider. Eye relief.

I have some crescent moons on my forehead and once had my wife along. I shot a Muley at a steep uphill angle. I had flopped down in a ditch. The scope came back and bit me. Blood gushed. I didn't know how bad I was hurt. My wife was in shock. I gutted the deer and we went into town. It was a really small town in a remote area.

I asked some towns people where I could get medical attention, blood covered, dripping off my nose and soaking my shirt. They contacted the local Doctor after hours and he stitched me up. Fortunately I hadn't fractured any bone. It was fine.

You may want to check the eye relief on your scope and stay back.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I learned a lot from Les Brookes and an Aussie stock maker Cussons I think, when I worked on my Mannlicher Schoenauer a few years ago.

The first point about stock fit that I figured out was the comb & heel drop to get your eyes over the sights or scope. If the comb is not a good fit the rest is a waste of time. I have been beaten black & blue by a high sharp comb and low drop stock in a standard recoil rifle! On the other hand I shoot my 9.3X62 very easily.

Second is the cast off and the toe out as well. Very subtle but makes a huge difference.

The actual length of pull is not as critical IMHO. I left my MS rifle longer (15 inches) simply because I did not have the heart to cut off the amazing mineral streaks and burl in the stock. But the rifle still mounts perfectly and the eyes settle perfectly over the open sights.

I did make it a straight stock to tame the recoil of the 9.5 X 57MS cartridge which is lively in a sleek MS rifle.

As already pointed out by another member an open grip will feel very different.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I hunted both Alaska and Africa, and there is a difference in LOP..but all my guns are 13-7/8 LOP, and its a nice compromise...

One thing I've noticed over the years is the human body can adopt to most any rifle stock if he shoots it enough..Rather amazing IMO, and this statement tends to freak some folks plumb out! pissers but I have seen this so much over the years with all mannor of folks shooting factory stocks that don't fit anyone particularly well, and they are happy as a pig I S--t with them..and it works for them...I can shoot about any rifle if I have to and so can most folks if they try, same with triggers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nuthin tuit ifin it is a blaser - just point it straight up butt first and sit down down real fast

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I called you once years ago for some advice and you were very patient and helpful. Now I know that you are also very observant. The human body is highly adaptable. Palm swells, custom-shaped handgun handles, etc., etc. aren't really needed. Our bodies and hands are extremely adaptable.

I also greatly enjoy your posts.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Ray,
I called you once years ago for some advice and you were very patient and helpful. Now I know that you are also very observant. The human body is highly adaptable. Palm swells, custom-shaped handgun handles, etc., etc. aren't really needed. Our bodies and hands are extremely adaptable.

I also greatly enjoy your posts.

It depends on what type of situations you encounter. With most rifle shooting you have time to settle into the rifle and get your sight picture. But sometimes that is not the case when you have a buck bust out at your feet or a buff come crashing out of the jess. In those kind of cases the last thing you want to be worrying about is trying to get your sights aligned with an ill-fitting stock.
With a fitted gun the crosshairs are where you are looking when you mount the gun just as easily as pointing your index finger. Even in situations where the shot doesn't have to be rushed it results in more game on the ground.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote