New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price for M70 type safety?
 Login/Join

<rolf>
posted
Do you guys have any good sources for this type of safety? The rifle has a buehler type for the moment, it�s working just fine but in my book a custom made rifle has to have a M70 type. A friend told me that there�s a company in Germany that manufactures them but I thought the price was a bit high. Around 200$. By the way the action is a mauser 98.
And the caliber??? 416 Taylor
Rolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's probably about right for M70 type - but I've seen American made versions for about $125USD.

You also have the option of the low-swing Buehler type which is much cheaper. I think that the conversion swing-arm can be had for about $15USD - and installed in about 10 minutes. This conversion will clear a scope.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 3 position M-70 Safty will run you about $119.00 plus shipping....A two position conversion to your housing will run you about $45.00. Brownells handles several of both.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The German built safety you mentioned is made by Recknagel. It's a 3 position Model 70 type safety for mausers. I paid Euro 205 for one (without fitting).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<rolf>
posted
Ray.
Is Brownells safety as good as the next? Is it something you have been working with so you know they are OK?
Thanks so far guys.
Rolf

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Rolf-

My favorite of the 3-position safeties made here is the PMI version. It is, in my opinion, the best looking and best functioning available. You can buy one direct from PMI at the website below.

http://www.precisemetalsmithing.com/3%20Pos%20safety.htm

I have used the Dakota safety and it is a well built item. I just don't like it quite as much. You can see one and order one at the website below.

http://www.benscustomguns.com/page14.html

Also shown there is David Gentry's version. I have not used this safety but I have used other metalsmithing from him and it has all been very well done. You can buy one cheaper directly from him at the website below.

http://www.gentrycustom.com/safety.htm

I mentioned the Recknagel in an earlier post. I'm hopeful that it will be a nice safety, but I haven't seen mine yet.

Good luck.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolf,

I have had two Gentry safeties installed and they are superb bits of equipment. They come blued. I paid $160 including shipping and that was from Montana to Washington State where I collected it at JJHack's.

I had some minor fitting problems with the threads on the second one but Dave is always accessable by e-mail and he gave me some great advice. A nice touch is he includes spare plungers and springs in case you mess up the fitting.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
Hi!
Do you just want the safety or do you want it mounted?
If you want it mounted here are some price quotes from two Swedish gunsmiths situated in the opposite ends of this country:

B�ssmakaren i Klippan asks 3000:- for a three position M/70 style safety.

PO Stenmark, Skell�fte� (Hjoggb�leliden) asks 1300:- for a two position side swing safety (Looks like a M/70 but lacks the �unload a SAFE gun� position�). He also mounts M/70 style safeties but I don�t know at what price. I do know that he doesn�t mount Dakotas safety as he thinks it impossible to get it totally silent.

The prices stated above I�ve gotten from personally speaking to the persons mentioned.

I haven�t used anything made by either of these but have seen their work and will make business with them in the near future (when my wallet grows thick enough ).

Personally I would go with a two position safety as I like it better. It retains the original boltshroud, which I think looks much better. It is also not as prone to be put on �fire position� by twigs and other stuff as the M/70 (this I know from personal use of both styles). It is also very easy to operate quietly! Others might disagree on this��

If you want to switch between open sights and a scope both of these safeties are much better than the Buehler safety!!

Good luck with your rifle!!

K9