Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiff Mark X Mauser Bolt
 Login/Join

posted
I have an Interarms Mark X Mauser that I recently purchased and noticed that when the bolt is initially cocked, it is very stiff.

I'm used to a fairly smooth and not stiff bolt opening and cocking on my other rifles. What could be causing this and is it normal on Mausers? What are the remedies? Appreciate any input and information.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. W. H.

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have an Interarms Mark X Mauser that I recently purchased and noticed that when the bolt is initially cocked, it is very stiff.

Do you mean that it's stiff when you try and raise the bolt and cock the action? If so, it's probably just a rough camming surface on either the cocking piece or the notch in the bolt body. First thing to check is that the camming surface on the cocking piece and in the bolt body are the same angle (they should be unless the action was grossly mismachined) It may just need some sort of lubrication on the camming surface. It that doesn't help, you can try dousing the cocking piece in 30 weight motor oil and cycling/dry firing. The bad news is that it will take at least a couple of hundred cycles before you will notice a difference, but this will smooth it up considerably.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has the bolt handle been replaced? If so, the cocking cam may have lost it's heat treat and may be galling. Go to HuntAmerica and do a search on the subject, looking for Jack Belk's explanations and fixes....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think it's the cocking piece strip the firing asssembly from the bolt and try it.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its an original Mark X bolt handle and has not been, to my knowledge heat treated or replaced. I just recently had the safety replaced with a good 3 way safety, but I don't think this had an effect since its still as stiff as it was initially. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote