THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber WSM boltface to 308 rim sized cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
A very good friend of mine has been bitten by a bug thus my question as I've not looked closely at a Kimber bolt face. His is in 7mm WSM and he wished to convert it to either a 260 Rem Ackley Imp, 6.5x284 or a 6.5x55 Ackley Imp.

I'm assuming "no" but wanted to ask your experienced opinions.

Thanks,

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent work with kimbers but I have with other mauser style actions. you would have to make a donut to put in the boltface and solder it in place and then open it up to the correct dia. You probally would need a new claw extractor.

skog

Posts: 55 | Location: OKC | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Also, the possibilty that the magazine would not retain the smaller cartridge diameter.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since he is doing a rebarrel anyway to get to 6.5. Why not do a 6.5RSUM or 6.5 WSM. Buy all the brass he can find with the money he will save in the bolt and feeding work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a bad idea trying to reduce the boltface size. IMO he would be a lot better off if he traded the rifle for another Kimber with the proper boltface. By the time you got a WSM action to properly feed a 308 diameter round (which it might never do) you would have likely spent far more than you might loose in a trade.
But I do agree that if he just really wants different round he should go with a WSM based one on the existing action..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote