THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    7mm-08 to 280 Remington - Is it possible to convert just by reaming?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 to 280 Remington - Is it possible to convert just by reaming?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Assuming that the 7mm-08 is built on a long Mauser action is it just a simple matter of using a reamer ro convert to 280 Remington?

There are no dimensions on the 7mm-08 that are wider than the 280 Remington?

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but I am sure it is not a complicated conversion. It might require setting the barrel back a fraction of an inch but I'm not sure of that.
My question is "How long is your 7mm/08 barrel?"
If it is under 24" and the barrel needs to be set back you will not get the full benefit of the 280.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do this without setting the barrel back but you'll end up with a very slight bulge in the 280 brass at the front of the 7-08 shoulder; it won't hurt anything but your feelings and the resale value but it IS unsightly. BTW the deer doesn't care about the extra 100-200 fps (G).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could go to a .284 without the buldge, but might have to make it feed. But like the man says, what's the point? If you want that extra 100 fps, turn the wick up on the 7mm-08.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to waffle a little. If you are going after large game, you do get a subtantial energy gain with the 175 gr bullet in a .280. You know that. I tend to think in terms of my own situation. I don't hunt anything larger than whitetails and all these cartridge alternatives are more than adequate. You might be hunting in Alaska or Africa or something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Shoulder dia of a 7-08 is .454 and the body ( shoulder ) dia of a 280 Rem is .441. so you will have a step in the chamber. Go to a 284 Win if you want more velocity, but don't try and rechamber it to a 280 Rem.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would a 280 Ackley Improved work?

Posts: 65 | Location: SW,Florida,U.S.A | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would a 280 Ackley Improved work

Yep without set back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronsunni:
Would a 280 Ackley Improved work?

But with added expense for dies, reamer and possible feeding tweaks, depending. With a conversion like this it's important IMO to examine the basic reasons for doing it. For maximum advantage with the 175-gr bullet then why not the 7mmRM? Seems to me that any other cartridge with the '06-size head would provide only marginal ballistic advantage unless the much-more-expensive AI cartridge was used, and even then the ballistic advantage would still be much greater with the 7RM. Feeding mods are more extensive than with the 284 or the 280AI but not much more.

I guess my point is that the least-hassle conversion is the standard 280 but also with the least ballistic improvement, while the AI provides less overall improvement than the RM but with much greater overall hassle. If it wuz mine then I'd either leave it alone or go to the 7mmRM unless I already owned the dies and/or reamer for one of the others. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 280rem reaming will not clean out the shoulder of the 7mm-08 chamber which is wider than the body of the 280rem at a point well below the shoulder of the 280chamber.

a 280RemAI should clean out the original 7mm-08 chamber

Setting back wouldn't work on the first case, unless you wanted to set it back ~1/4"

a 280AI reamer isn't any more difficult to buy than a 280rem reamer, and 280AI dies are available off the shelf from Redding (typically on the shelf at your local Cabela's)

And Correctly headstamped brass is available from Norma.

the 280RemAI isn't a "real" wildcat anymore.

AD

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a 280rem reaming will not clean out the shoulder of the 7mm-08 chamber which is wider than the body of the 280rem at a point well below the shoulder of the 280chamber.

Thanks for that, ad for all the other answers. The reason is the 175 grain bullet in a calibre that isn't 7mm Remington Magnum as I had my eye on a very cheap 7mm-08 BSA.

If Remington still did a Model 700 CDL in 280 Remington my problem wuld be solved.

It is for use in Europe where in some places it is easier to take just the rifle and buy the loaded ammunition when you get there.

Military calibre options not being availbale and I don't want to pay absolutely stupid prices that they charge for 7 x 64!

Despite being 6' 4" and 240lbs I'd prefer the light factory 280 Remington ammunition choice to the more powerful (and expensive) 7mm Remington Magnum.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to be able to find ammo you could rechamber to 7x57. You'd still get the buldge, but ammo is everywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
If you want to be able to find ammo you could rechamber to 7x57. You'd still get the buldge, but ammo is everywhere.

He is in Europe. Several countries in Europe. France for example, forbid the civilian use of rifles chambered in current or former military calibers (of the region?). This would include 7x57, 8x57, .308/7.62x51, etc... I think it is so that when the civilians rebel against the government, they won't be able to feed their hunting rifles from captured ammo. That's probably the next thing on Obummer's list.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkey, Spain and I believe Portugal as well do the same thing.

I have a 7mmMag because it's generally more available
(and in more choices) than 280rem.

And it's still not as "stupid priced" as 7x64 ammo is anywhere in this particular universe.

I have several rifles that I've had for >20 years that have never come near so much as a single round of factory
ammo, but other than my 6.5x55 (or my 10mm pistol) I can get ammo for everthing I own at the nearest WalMart

I like it like that... not that I'd NEED to buy ammo, but...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote