Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Win Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
I have a post 64 M70 Lightweight in 22-250. Push Feed. With a dummy round in the chamber after you fire it, as you lift the Bolt about 1/2 way it catch's and requires a lot of force to left it any more. I suspect the receiver lugs are galled? No problem with a empty chamber? Also when you fire it with the dummy round in it the firing pin seems sluggish. I suspect at one time this had a very heavy load fired in it? Has anyone run into something like this? It is apparent a amateur worked on this as it appears the stock may be a replacement from the original? Frowner

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
First, dissassembly the bolt, clean and lube it. Check the cocking surfaces closely for damage.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would normally be an indication of an overload, and that can come about for several reasons such as a tight chamber or neck to start with..An oversize or out of round chamber can also cause this problem, but a chamber cast will reveal all of these possibles.

I would shoot some milder loads in it first of all. and if that isn't the problem I would then take a chamber cast to determine if the problem is with the gun itself.

The trigger should be a separate issue altogether and suspect its gooped up, needs cleaning and perhaps it needs to be re-set or even tuned.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
First, dissassembly the bolt, clean and lube it. Check the cocking surfaces closely for damage.

and try the dummy round without the cocking piece on it.
I had a .243 Win M70 Lightweight Carbine that developed a problem with the little plunger thing on the left side of the bolt shroud and it acted about as you are describing. The name of that part escapes me.

Actually I just looked at that rifle again and it was not the plunger I spoke of it was actually a screw head on the left side of the bolt shroud that gave me the same symptoms you are experiencing. Check that screw and see that it's not backed out a little. I tightened mine and then filed a little off the top too.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys
I cleaned out the chamber and bolt and the problem seems to fixed. Big Grin

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote