Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Winchester pre-64/New Classic actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted
I have purchased Pre-64 actions with the metal floor plate and trigger assembly for $450-$500 (30-06). This seems to be about the going rate. I know that there are some minor differences between the Pre-64's and the new CRF Classic actions. In my rifles, the new ones are a little slicker and I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a few of them.

What would you be willing to pay for one of the new actions with the metal floor plate and trigger assembly?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the price of a new rifle and back out the salvage value of the barrel and stock. I would guess that those would bring you somewhere from $100 to $150, depending on caliber. So, whatever the price of the new rifle less that amount should be a fair price for the complete action.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I found the new p64 style action on a 270. The model was being discontinued. I scrapped everything and sa the complete gun was $300.00 got the action for about $175.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Longbob, I've bought pre-64 and Classic Model 70 rifles for the actions recently, and here's how I handled those deals:

A local dealer/gunsmith had a Classic Model 70 in .30-06, used but mint, complete with a Simmons scope on top at a price of $475. This rifle was about five or six years old, and the action was an exceptionally good one. I told the dealer that the scope added no value for my purposes, and that all I really wanted was the receiver and bolt assembly. He said that he could use the other parts, so he agreed to pull the barrel and let me take the action for $300. Since I'll have the triggerguard/floorplate replaced as well as the magazine and follower with better, milled-steel custom replacement parts, the originals were just more clutter.

I also found locally a 1952 Model 70 in .270 which had a really tight, unaltered action and a 4X B&L Balfor scope in B&L mounts for $550. I took the rifle apart, and sent the barreled action to D'Arcy Echols for a future custom project. He inspected the action, which met with his approval, then pulled the barrel and sent it back. I took it and the other parts (scope, mounts, stock, screws, triggerguard, etc.) to a friend who deals in pre-64 Winchesters and got $200 dollars for my trouble. So that nice pre-64 action only cost me $350.

Complete rifles (for the actions) are almost always a better buy than if you were to buy the action only. The parts are always worth SOMETHING. I like to dicker the price down if I can, buy the whole gun, then either sell the parts or get a credit for the parts.

AD

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. Actually, you are hitting on exactly what I intend to do. Buy the whole gun and salvage out the parts for the action. Only after I shoot the gun. I'd hate to strip a shooter. It could happen!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Two years ago I did buy a pre '64 featherweihgt in good shape for about 250 euro's ,about the same in dollars,I believe it was a good deal.
Hugh.