New
Find
Notify
Tools

mounted forearm nose piece
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am building a new forearm for a rifle. It is black walnut and for the heck of it, I thought I'd put a Sonoran Ironwood nose piece on it. I can epoxy and pin the ironwood on to the walnut slab before or after roughing the barrel channel on a router table. Is there a preferred method? I've not tried to cut Ironwood with a router, but is is similar to Ebony in hardness, density and so forth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bbt

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not done a forearm tip, but from what I found out doing a grip cap I would say install it before doing the inletting, shaping and sanding. This will help keep you from getting rounded edges where the two pieces join. I would also recommend using an epoxy that dries clear, in case you don't get the joint perfect and have a slight bit showing, then it won't stand out horribly.

But like I said, haven't done one, so hopefully one of the experts will weigh in on this.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote